Tuesday, May 13, 2008

TWD: Florida Pie


This week's TWD treat was Florida Pie, chosen by Dianne of Dianne's Dishes. Now, I'm not going to lie - I've never been to Florida. I've also never had key lime pie. And Mounds, that candy bar with a sweet coconut filling in it? Yeah, not a fan. So I entered into this with a bit of trepidation. (Okay, sorry, side tangent - isn't trepidation just such a fun word? Say it - Trepidation. Trepidation. See?)

What was very nice was that it came together quickly and easily. I went with the suggestion to use a storebought graham cracker crust and reduced the heavy cream to 3/4 c. since people seemed to think it took too long to reduce down. With that change, I was able to mix everything up for the actual pie, bake it, cool it, and get it into the freezer in ~40 minutes. Not bad, I'd say.

Oh, you were wondering about the picture? Well, I had it all planned out - make and bake the pie on Sunday, make the meringue Monday, bring the pie in to work on Tuesday. All was going according to schedule until s**t hit the fan at work on Monday at 4pm. After leaving work at midnight, I did manage to get up at 5:30 this morning to make the meringue and top the pie. It's currently defrosting on top of my desk, to be enjoyed by coworkers in a few hours. So yeah, I'm hardcore and all that.

Or I think that baking is more important than work (note what's in the foreground). Yeah, that's probably it.

*edit* I got distracted once this was put out at work, so I never got any. It was quickly eaten and got rave reviews from coconut lovers and haters alike for the lightness and that neither the lime nor the coconut was too prominent. Makes me wish I had gotten some :-P

Last week: Peanut Butter Torte
Next week: Traditional Madeleines

Florida Pie (Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my home to yours)
1 9-inch graham cracker crust (page 235), fully baked and cooled, or a store-bought crust
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
4 large eggs, seperated
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh Key (or regular) lime juice (from about 5 regular limes)
1/4 cup of sugar

Getting Ready:

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment of a silicone mat.

Put the cream and 1 cup of the coconut in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring almost constantly. Continue to cook and stir until the cream is reduced by half and the mixture is slightly thickened. Scrape the coconut cream into a bowl and set it aside while you prepare the lime filling.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl beat the egg yolks at high speed until thick and pale. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the condensed milk. Still on low, add half of the lime juice. When it is incorporated, add the reaming juice, again mixing until it is blended. Spread the coconut cream in the bottom of the graham cracker crust, and pour over the lime filling.

Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes, then freeze the pie for at least 1 hour.

To Finish the Pie with Meringue:

Put the 4 egg whites and the sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, whisking all the while, until the whites are hot to the touch. Transfer the whites to a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a hand mixer in a large bowl, and beat the whites at high speed until they reach room temperature and hold firm peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold the remaining 1/2 cup coconut into the meringue.

Spread the meringue over the top of the pie, and run the pie under the broiler until the top of the meringue is golden brown. (Or, if you've got a blowtorch, you can use it to brown the meringue.) Return the pie to the freezer for another 30 minutes or for up to 3 hours before serving.

37 comments:

Lori said...

Midnight? What? That meringue toasted looks great, so even!

Heather said...

wow! I bet your coworkers love your dedication to baking! Pie looks delicious! Great job!

ostwestwind said...

Very brave to get up so early, but the result looks great!
Ulrike from Küchenlatein

crumblycookie said...

I was wondering about the stuff in the background of the picture. I'm guessing you haven't actually tried any of the pie yet?

Amy said...

Wow, you are hardcore! Nice Job!

mimi said...

work, schmork! your pie looks great and your co-workers are lucky!

rainbowbrown said...

That's dedication. I think pie and goggles belong in the same picture anyway.

Christine said...

You are dedicated! Midnight and then up at 5:30 wow! Pie sounds great and I am sure your co-workers enjoyed it!

Mara said...

diligent merengue maker!! i was up early this morning as well, making my cream for the 'finished' photos. hahaa. the things we do.

CB said...

trep-i-da-tion... just wanna say it slow b/c IT IS so fun. LOL. You are one hard core baker getting up so early to finish. Props!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Melissa said...

mmmmm looks SO GOOD

bakingwiththeboys said...

I can't believe you didn't get any...especially after waking at 5:00 to make the meringue. You are much nicer to your co-workers. Mine got this in bars because I didn't want to wake early for meringue or whipped cream.

Lynnylu said...

I know your lucky co-workers were happy with your pie. It looks great! Mine's in the freezer minus two slices. We'll see how it holds up.

Bumblebutton said...

When it comes to work and sharing desserts, serve yourself FIRST!

Isa said...

I love how nicely your meringue browned! Thanks for sharing and for your comment on my blog! :)

Amy said...

Oh man, I can't believe you didn't get any. Your pie looks great!

Di said...

Nice job on the pie! It's also nice to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to occasionally get up early to bake something to take to work. =)

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

A very nice looking pie, with even meringue browning. I like your idea of using less cream to make the mixture reduce more quickly.

Shari said...

You are definitely hardcore! Your co-workers are very lucky.

Mary Ann said...

Your pie does look scrumptious! Shame on your co-workers for not saving you any!

PheMom said...

So sorry you didn't get any! It looks great!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Too bad you didn't get to try it in the end! Sounds like a crazy day, hope the rest of the week is better

Natalie said...

Aw man! I hate it when they scarf it down and I don't even get a taste. Quality control, people! Quality Control!

(hehehe.... trepidation)

Melissa said...

What lucky coworkers!

Liliana said...

Your pie looks great! You have to be admired for your dedication to baking! My husband doesn't pay attention to my blog either, he just eats what I make.

Amy W said...

And you didn't even get any after getting up so early? You are a trooper!

April said...

Your pie looks great! Too bad you didn't get to try it!

Marie said...

I guess I'm really lucky that I get to actually bake at work! Only draw back is it's not for me though. Nevermind. I love your pie. I'm betting it was worth all the agro!!

Linda said...

I totally get it when you pondered whether baking takes priority over work! You're a trooper and you did a great job...

Jayne said...

I can't believe you didn't get a piece!! Your pie looks yummy - as I'm sure it was. Lucky coworkers!
Oh - and trepidation? Definitely a fun word.

Piggy said...

wow, you woke up at 5+ in the morning to make the meringue?! glad that your pie turned out great!

Sharon said...

Oh! You are going to have to make this again so you can try it. It is fabulous!

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Hardcore indeed! You rock!

Dianne's Dishes said...

It looks great...Sorry you didn't get to try it yourself. :)

The Kitchen Vixen said...

talk about dedication;) you are a true Dorie trooper to get up at 5:00AM. Your pie looks great!

Jenny said...

Very nice. Curious about what exactly that is on your desk now though. :-)

Jaime said...

great job! sorry you didn't get to try any!