Tuesday, May 20, 2008

TWD: Traditional Madeleines

Thank God. Oh yeah, and thank Tara of Smells Like Home. Why, you ask? Because finally I have a recipe that I can just throw together. Madeleines. Cookies. Simple, easy, quick. Sure, there's that three hour rest in the fridge, but I considered it optional. I wasn't going to get the hump that you're supposed to get, no matter what I did. It's like feet on a macaron. Mine just crack and leave a huge hollow spot below the shell. So why wait 3 hours when you can have the bliss that is a mini madeleine in 10 minutes flat? Lunacy, I tell you!



And as more proof that my pans must be 50% smaller than anything Dorie used, her recipe to make 12 regular or 36 small madeleines made over 60 mini madeleines! Seriously! 64 to be exact! I was overtaken by a horde of cute little fluted cookies! All just begging to be dipped into tea, glazed with lemon, or just popped into my mouth. One bite treats = evil. E-VIL. Doesn't this one just look so innocent?


And then BAM! Suddenly all of its little friends are there too! An army of madeleines, they're going to take over the world!!!



I've already made her mini madeleine recipe, which is a bit sweeter without any lemon in it. It was one of the first recipes I made once I purchased the book, in part because I needed (okay, wanted) to use my mini madeleine pan. I either end up buying a pan and having to justify it with a recipe, or I pick a recipe so I can justify buying a pan. Seriously, I think I have a problem. But I loved her mini madeleine recipe. The brown sugar and honey in that recipe lent it a more sophisticated sweetness, rather than an in-your-face sweetness that processed sugar will give you.


So was this recipe worth it? Definitely. Could it use some tweaks? Again, definitely. It's a bit too plain to be left by itself, and could use a dip in some whipped cream (I'm imagining one with a fruit puree folded into it, like strawberry or raspberry) or tea. It's a nice little treat that I wish I could bake up, two or three at a time, for that point in the day that I could really use a breather from my computer. A cup of tea and some madeleines. Hmm... I'm wondering if I should just freeze them at work and take a couple out every day around 3 for a snack... Other tweaks that I'm imagining are the ones I restrained myself from doing since we were commissioned to make traditional madeleines. Lavender. Earl Grey. Chocolate. Matcha. Lemon-glazed. Honey. Browned butter. Rosemary.


Head. Spinning. Too many choices. WANT TO MAKE THEM ALL.

Last week: Florida Pie
Next week: Pecan Honey Sticky Buns

Traditional Madeleines (from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: from my home to yours)

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) (85g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Working in a mixer bowl, or in a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the eggs to the bowl. Working with the whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale, thick and light, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. With a rubber spatula, very gently fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the batter and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours, or for up to 2 days. This long chill period will help the batter form the hump that is characteristic of madeleines. (For convenience, you can spoon the batter into the madeleine molds, cover and refrigerate, then bake the cookies directly from the fridge; see below for instructions on prepping the pans.)

GETTING READY TO BAKE: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter 12 full-size madeleine molds, or up to 36 mini madeleine molds, dust the insides with flour and tap out the excess. Or, if you have a nonstick pan (or pans), give it a light coating of vegetable cooking spray. If you have a silicone pan, no prep is needed. Place the pan(s) on a baking sheet.

Spoon the batter into the molds, filling each one almost to the top. Don’t worry about spreading the batter evenly, the oven’s heat will take care of that. Bake large madeleines for 11 to 13 minutes, and minis for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are golden and the tops spring back when touched. Remove the pan(s) from the oven and release the madeleines from the molds by rapping the edge of the pan against the counter. Gently pry any recalcitrant madeleines from the pan using your fingers or a butter knife. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool to just warm or to room temperature.

If you are making minis and have more batter, bake the next batch(es), making certain that you cool, then properly prepare the pan(s) before baking.

Just before serving, dust the madeleines with confectioners’ sugar.

Makes 12 large or 36 mini cookies

Serving: Serve the cookies when they are only slightly warm or when they reach room temperature, with tea or espresso.

Storing: Although the batter can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, the madeleines should be eaten soon after they are made. You can keep them overnight in a sealed container, but they really are better on day 1. If you must store them, wrap them airtight and freeze them; they’ll keep for up to 2 months.

51 comments:

Ashlee Wetherington said...

it was so hard to wait on them, i almost didn't either! they look so adorable all lined up :)

rainbowbrown said...

Whoa, who thought madeleines could be such evil little beasts. Especially minis! Well I suppose evil can be cute too. They look great and I love thinking about how someone had 64 tiny cakes in their possession.

Lori said...

Nice job. They look fantastic. So cute. Love the soldier picture. Great post. You have a good imagination!

ostwestwind said...

I got more than 12 big ones :-). I love the picture of this innocent looking minis

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Di said...

I got more than the recipe said I would, too. And I already gave in to the temptation to try another flavor--yay for quick and easy recipes!

April said...

They look really cute! I love mini anything, and these are added to the list! I am also thinking of new flavors!

Madam Chow said...

Yes! I had a lot of batter, too! Yours turned out so cute!

SiHaN said...

adorable?! the army of madeleines look positively life threatening!!! *yikes*. hehe. delicious though.

Bumblebutton said...

That is the cutest thing! And the refrigeration thing is dispensible...who knew!

CB said...

madeleine army! I wouldn't be opposed to that war. bahaha. Your little minis turned out so cute. Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Garrett said...

I think that is the cutest army of cakes I've ever seen. Come to think of it, that's probably the only army of cakes I've ever seen. I agree they're absolutely evil...eating *just one more* won't hurt, right?

kim said...

haha, i can't believe you got so many out of the recipe! they are adorable, great job :) i used browned butter and it was sooo worth it in the flavor dept.

Amy said...

Ha ha! You crack me up!!! I loved the army of madelines! Great job.

LyB said...

I got a lot more Madeleines than the recipe said too! Your little army is just so cute, well done!

landa said...

So cute. I loved the pics.

Just like Stella Used to Make said...

I love the mimis. Is that a silicone pan? do you like it?

Piggy said...

those mini madeleines look so cute!!

lemontartlet said...

An army of madelines! AIIIIIEEE! You totally made me spit my Coke, they look so perky and somehow agressive in a pack.

Christine said...

Your army of mini madeleines are perfect! I did love the fluff-filled that we did but it was easier to fill the larger ones then the minis. The minis hardly used any fluff.

Sharon said...

cute mini cookies! look great!

Melissa said...

The muffins I made this week are the first time that I've ever had the same number of servings as Dorie! Your madelines look great!

Marie said...

Your madeleines are so cute standing up there like little soldiers!!! Well done you!!

mimi said...

oh my gosh, look at all those minis!! they came out great, i love the army!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

OMG, 64 mini madeleines? They would call my name all over the house. Mmmmmmm.

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

bakingwiththeboys said...

You are too funny - loved the army. I am glad I don't have a mini-madeleine pan because I could seriously over eat something that small and cute.

Dolores said...

64 mini madeleines... "what a confectionery army" I was thinking just seconds before I read that line. Great job!

Robin said...

Yum! These look fabulous!

Tammy said...

Your wee madelines look so cute!!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

crazy zombie madeleines taking over the kitchen! great job!

Tracey said...

Haha you're too funny - that is a lot of madeleines! They look great though :-)

Cheryl said...

Oh, they're sooooo adorable!

And yeah, I had full-size pans, and overfilled the first 6, the second 6 were perfect, but there was still a ton of batter left. I could have easily made 18 full-size madeleines, maybe more.

I ended up just eating the leftover batter with a spoon. :oops:

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Hehehe! They may be evil little buggers, but they sure are cute! Great job!

BAKE-EN said...

Great post. I loved your army of mini-mads. You made me LOL :)

PheMom said...

How seriously cute are all those pictures. Great job!

Jaime said...

love your super mini madeleines!

Heather said...

wow! I can't believe you got 60! I barely got 24 mini muffins out of it! hehe...they look great! Very delicious and so evil!

cruisingkitty said...

I LOVE your little army! They're too cute to eat!
Donna@Spatulas & Corkscrews

Gretchen Noelle said...

So funny!! What an incredible amount of minis!!! I cannot wait to try other flavors.

Shirlie said...

ha! great post; I love the lone madeleine who is suddenly accompanied by a whole army. You're right, it was such a relief to have a quick & painless recipe.

Shari said...

I love your army of madeleines! Very cute! I'm with you - I loved them!

bakersbakery said...

Hahahaha! They really do look like a little army!

Katrina said...

They do look all cute and innocent on their own... but en masse, not so much!

But they do look tasty!

The Kitchen Vixen said...

Well arent those the cutest things things I've ever seen;) Great job they look adorable.

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Your mini madeleines are adorable and I can totally imagine how difficult it was to keep from scarfing them all down!

Aardvark Cakes said...

Your family of mini madeleines look lovely - so funny to imagine you being taken over by them all! Hx

Jenny said...

Those are very cute, your little army of cookies.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

The Madeleines have a lovely honey color and I like the cute army.

eatme_delicious said...

Aw cute! Love the photo of the army of madeleines. I've been thinking I might want to get a mini madeleine tray too.

Brentwood Kitchen Shopper said...

Ooooooooh so good...so sweet, so bad for you! I love madeleines and am dying to make this recipe. But I am worried I will eat the entire badge myself!

Carol Peterman said...

Madeleines are like a blank flavor canvas. Though I liked the traditional treatment of this recipe, I too prefer to add some spice and flavor. I can attest to the deliciousness of matcha madeleines and a yuzu glaze really makes them great. A marching army of tiny madeleines – I see a YouTube video in your future. Did anyone else think of The Trouble with Tribbles as these little cakes just kept multiplying in the photo series?

Anne said...

Those look awesome!

I saw your comment on another blog about the brownies... I made those last week and they were totally straight forward and delish. I'd love to see your version!