Friday, July 25, 2008

Raspberry Spelt Teacakes


Otherwise known as - "ooo, those raspberries look good" and "huh, I've never baked with spelt flour before..." and "aawww, cute little brioche molds!" Yeah, that's how I roll. Inspiration is found at a store with a credit card. Good for my soul, bad for my pocket. But sshhh, we'll just forget that last part, k?


Because I have to tell you about these. I know, you might want to call them muffins, but really, they're not. There are so many muffins out there that just need a slathering of frosting to turn them into a cupcake. This, my friends, is not one of those baked goods. This little teacake was meant for a cup of tea or coffee. It was meant to be savored between sips of something hot and caffeinated. Let me tell you, this makes me wish we had the European tradition of a mid-afternoon snack (well, other than those malted milk balls that mysteriously disappear from my desk drawer around 4pm).


The recipe is an adaptation, thanks to the discovery of in-season and on sale raspberries as well as the mysterious spelt flour. I actually ended up leaving 4 of the 5 with the boyfriend (I baked them at his apartment), and here were his comments:

- less sugar, more raspberries
- mix the raspberries in with the rest of the teacake, not just on top
- don't let them sit too long, because the raspberries make them a bit soggy
- even with all of that, these were winners
- oh, and using the brioche molds made them look like octoroks (whatever the heck those are)


So taking those things into account, here's my revised recipe:


Raspberry Spelt Teacakes

1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. spelt flour
3/8 c. flour
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 oz butter
raspberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter. Sift together the sugar, spelt flour, AP flour, and baking powder. Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork before adding them to the dry ingredients. Add the cooled melted butter and gently fold in the raspberries. Grease a muffin tin or some other individual size mold. Divide the batter between 4-6 molds (I probably could have used 6 without an issue, but 4 would have been overflow city!). Bake for 18-22 minutes. Let the teacakes cool in the molds for a few minutes before unmolding and allowing to cool on a rack. Enjoy - I'd suggest them with coffee or tea and maybe a little dollop of whipped cream. Just finish them within the first couple of days (because that'll be a problem...).

9 comments:

CB said...

Inspiration found with a credit card.
How often I know that inspiration? Too often. Hey inspiration is inspiration right? LOL. Love the brioche molds.
/Clara

rainbowbrown said...

Whoa. Nice little cliffs on those. Tea cakes, caffeine and things baked in little brioche molds are all tops in my book. Very nice.

Mary Ann said...

looks so yummy! send one my way!

Food.Baby said...

They look gorgeous! And teacakes are much more elegant than a plain ole muffin don't you think? :)

Maya said...

So cute!!! I wanna make it :)

Jaime said...

those are so cute!

Alwayzbakin said...

Oooh! So cute!

B said...

Oh these are absolutely gorgeous!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I love this shape! Too cute!