Tuesday, August 12, 2008

TWD: Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream Sandwiches


Guess what? I finally got an entire weekend at home! To myself! As a result, I thought I should at least try to give this week's TWD pick my own little spin. It's one of those things that doesn't happen enough, because 90% of the time I'm just squeezing my baking in when I get the chance. Rushed baking does not lead to creative baking, let me tell you.

Even better, I had these cookies starred in my Google Reader since they showed up. How better to jazz up some blueberry ice cream than with brownie cookies?



Little did I know, they provided just the right contrast to the ice cream. I actually tried the ice cream by itself and thought it was aggressively sour cream-y. Way too much sour cream flavor, not nearly enough blueberry. If I hated my hips (or maybe loved them a little more than I do?), I would have made this again with 1.5-2 times the blueberries, lowering the ratio of sour cream to heavy cream to maybe 1:2. Instead, I just shrugged my shoulders and sandwiched the just-churned ice cream between two little cookies, wrapped them in plastic wrap (thus the oh-so-attractive fold marks in all the pics), and stuck them in the freezer. The next day, I looked at them but decided on fudge instead, since we brought a couple pounds back from Mackinac Island. But the day after, oh the day after... It was that day that led to my downfall. Because I arranged the ice cream sandwiches for pictures and took a bite of one (for the pictures, I swear!). And then another bite. Soon, I had eaten three of them. After 5 days, they were gone. All that ice cream. All those cookies. GONE. Dolores, I'm wavering between thanking you and cursing you.

Ohmygoodgodthesearegood. Seriously. The chocolate cookies sweetened the tanginess of the sour cream, and the blueberries were allowed to shine through just as they should. Add to that the shockingly purple-blue color against the rich brown, and you've got one killer dessert. Or snack. Or breakfast. Dairy and fruit, totally breakfast foods, right? Glad you're with me on that one.


In order to make the ice cream sandwiches, I actually made half the recipe from Smitten Kitchen and still had quite a few left over. However, I could have rolled them out a little thicker with no problems, making a half recipe of cookies the perfect amount to sandwich a batch of this ice cream. I cut the cookies out before baking as well, but I think I could have done this as a sheet of cookies and cut the circles out post-baking. That would have made assembling the ice cream sandwiches easier. Just take the same cookie cutter you used to cut out the cookie, line it with a piece of plastic wrap, place a cookie in the bottom, layer in some ice cream, and top with another cookie. Pull up the plastic wrap over the top and either twist or fasten it closed (so there isn't freezer burn or anything), lift the sandwich from the cookie cutter, and into the freezer it goes! Hindsight = 20/20 on that one, folks.

That's okay, I might see another batch of ice cream in my future, and you can bet it'll end up in sandwiches!


Last Week: Black and White Baby Banana Bundts
Next Week: Granola Grabbers (finally, a COOKIE!!!)

63 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

How fantastic! What a great idea and wonderful combination of colors. Yummy!

Di said...

Hey, you don't have to convince me that dessert foods make good breakfast! =) Awesome job--the sandwiches sound wonderful. And I'm with you on the adjusted proportions. That's very close to what I actually did.

Cristine said...

YUM! I put hot fudge on mine, but sandwiched between cookies looks even better!!!

rainbowbrown said...

ooooh. Ice cream sandwiches... Purple ice cream sandwiches. Purple and BROWN ice cream sandwiches. I want one.

Judy said...

Oh wow! First of all, I love ice cream sandwiches. Putting the blueberry ice cream in between 2 chocolate cookies is nothing short of amazing!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yum--IC sandwiches!! the berry chocolate combo makes me think of an ice cream flavor i had somewhere called "purple cow"

Natashya said...

I love the ice cream sandwiches!
Congrats on you weekend alone, I love them too. With the kids almost grown up I am having more and more of them - after 20 years of never being alone!
Congrats on a great TWD.

The Becketts said...

WOW!!!! What a great idea. These looks amazing.

Jules Someone said...

I didn't love this one either. Too sour. Who knew that you needed to pair it with chocolate?!

Thanks for the tips on the sandwiches. I'm making my first batch ever next week. Eeek!

LyB said...

Chocolate and blueberries, oh, yeah! I actually loved the ice cream by itself, but this sounds even better, if that's at all possible!

Tammie said...

What a great idea to create ice cream sandwiches! :-)

Mary Ann said...

Those ice cream sammies look amazing! What a great idea! I want one

MacDuff said...

So gorgeous! And these totally get you away from photographing brown foods. And oh yeah, one more thing: ice cream sandwiches are an important part of a balanced diet. You can ask any of the Olympic runners, and I know that the beach volleyball girls eat lunch at an ice cream truck daily.

landa said...

Oh these are awesome. You did an awesome job.

Teanna said...

Ohhhh I Loooove the brownie cookie idea! That looks to die for!

chocolatechic said...

They look fabulous.

Sarah said...

Genius! And I love the saran wrap markings on the side. Makes it look genuinely homemade! :)

Jessie said...

Those look excellent. Great job!

April said...

You are so smart! What a great idea. The color of the ice cream is fantastic. And I can only imagine how delicious they were.

CB said...

Oh I am totally with you on the breakfast food. ::staring at 1/2 eaten tub of ice cream I just ate for breakfast::. Love the brownie ice cream cookie creativity! My lips are smacking and I am droooling. Thanks.
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Erin said...

This looks great! I love the way you made ice cream sandwiches!

Kayte said...

Very, very nice. I like the textured look of the wrap marks, too. Very artsy and creative-looking. You're a star this week, an absolute star!
www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

Megan said...

I MUST try those cookies - because how can anything with the word "brownie" in it be bad?

Susie Homemaker said...

okay - i am never coming here again. look at my hips! you're killing me with these ideas!

Marye said...

These are amazing!
marye
http://www.bakingdelights.com

n.o.e said...

I like your "twist" on this challenge! Those cookies look amazing and I'm glad they balanced the ice cream so well. And thanks for the tips on the ice cream - I'll keep it in mind when I make mine (I did a rewind this week...)
Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

Isa said...

I agree... Smitten Kitchen's Brownie Roll-Out Cookies are just the perfect match for this ice cream! Though I really enjoyed how sour cream-y it was :)
I love the color of your ice cream

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Those look seriously fabulous! What a great idea!

Tammy said...

I love the idea of ice cream sandwiches! They look great with the contrasting colours!

Rigby said...

Such a cool idea! I love the ice cream sandwiches, and am curious about the chocolate/berry combo...wonderful!

Maya said...

I am looking forward to the cookies too! I will be baking them this Thursday.
What are great idea to make ice cream sandwiches!

Em said...

Totally awesome and the color could not be better!

have a delicious day :)

Prudy said...

What a great idea. They look so cute and I love the stacked varied sizes.

Jaime said...

wow, great idea to make them into sandwiches!!

Pamela said...

Good gracious, they look FANTASTIC!! I want me some of those.

Mike Spoodles said...

Okay....why did ice cream sandwiches never occur to me at all? What am I, some kind of rube? Yours look gorgeous, btw!

Shirlie said...

your ice cream sandwiches look awesome. i've tried the brownie roll out cookies, as well, and was totally hooked. great job!

Cynikell said...

I love that you turned these into sandwiches. They look fantastic -- almost like skirts on the cookies.

likesprinkles said...

That was a great idea. They look lovely!

Shandy said...

What a fabulous idea! And I can just imagine the flavor through your description and taste testing! Beautiful as always =D

The DeL Sisters said...

Wow! I love your picutres!

Dolores said...

Breakfast. Check. :)

And I think Deb deserves part of the love/hate...

I'm glad you found a way to make the ice cream work for you. Now the temptation's gone. :)

Bria said...

Wow! Your blueberry sour cream ice cream sandwiches look great. Best idea!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

These are beautiful! A very creative idea and one would not feel guilty eating just one icecream sandwich at a time, followed by another one...

Lynnylu said...

Great idea for the ice cream.

Liliana said...

What a great presentation! The combination sounds delicious!

Wonderful pictures!

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

I too have been overcome and eaten all my foodie photo shoot goodies in one go, so I understand! Thanks for reminding me that I also wanted to try SK's cookies!

Sharon said...

What a great idea to make ice cream sandwiches out of them. I subbed some yogurt for sour cream because I am not too fond of sour cream.

confectiona said...

You are totally brilliant. Now I have to make it again, with the cookies, and although I could convince myself that the ice cream itself was reasonably healthy, the cookies kill the whole deal. But my children and husband thank you!

suburban housefrau said...

Take an offset spatula, dunk in hot water for 10 seconds, wipe it off quickly, and run it around the ice cream to smooth out those wrinkles - I did this on an ice cream cake this weekend. ;)

Mara said...

omg those are so cute, the picture scale totally made me think they were CAKES! i was like WOW She made 3 layer cakes out of it! that's so awesome. hahaha. still fab. love the idea.

bakingwiththeboys said...

WOW. Those look amazing. Brownie cookies? I am so there.

Bumblebutton said...

Super yummy! And, the folds in your ice cream can only mean home made. Nothings better than that!

Brilynn said...

These are definitely suitable for breakfast, I'll take 2!

Jacque said...

Your picture looks like a little mini-ice cream wedding cake. Seriously cute and sounds DELISH!

kamailesfood said...

Homemade ice cream sandwiches are so yum! These look great. :)

Nickki said...

All I can say is YUM! They look to die for! :)

Alwayzbakin said...

These look devine. That was a great idea.

Jenny said...

Are you sure that is ice cream sandwiches and not a funky new cake? Very nicely done, I love the color.

spatulascorkscrews said...

What a great idea! Ice Cream Sandwiches! They are absolutely gorgeous too!

Lauren said...

I've too have been thinking about ice-cream sandwiches. I love the idea of hand held little presents.

Kait said...

Great idea! I would've crinkled my nose a bit at the chocolate and blueberry combination but now I just might be tempted to try it sometime.

GoldTeeth said...

looks tasty!
i think i'll need to make some icecream sandwiches soon before the summer is gone!