Friday, September 19, 2008

Sourdough Croissants


So, these croissants... this is all the proof left that they even existed. Just pictures. Flaky, golden brown, and GONE. Like, as in over a month ago gone. Yeah, I turned on my A/C just for these so that I wouldn't have butter melting and squirting everywhere. I have priorities people!

Okay, so these weren't the only reason why the A/C was on. Remember this weekend? Yeah, these were in queue that weekend (and had been for quite a while), but they were only a part of that bakestravaganza. You see though, these have a special place in my heart. And my stomach. And my ass. They don't let go. Not even after a 10 mile run. Oh yes, these are tenacious little beasties.

Not only that, this was my first time ever making croissants. I had made danish dough for the Daring Baker challenge, but never croissants. And man, let me tell you - I looooove croissants. Even those pathetic limp ones you can get in the clamshells at the grocery store. But especially good croissants. I had one every morning when I went to France for a week, and was quite unhappy to have to leave them behind. They were buttery without being greasy, complex, crisp, and flaky. And I was never going to taste anything like them again. *cue sad tiny violins*


Okay, so I did get to taste something like them. Yes, I had to make them myself, but damn were they good! More delicate than the ones I found in France, with an appealing tangy flavor from my sourdough starter, George. In fact, I didn't feel the need to put any jam or preserves on these, because there was enough flavor just in the pastry itself. It probably helped that I found some high butterfat, cultured butter from Wisconsin (oh how I love thee, land of dairy). Premium ingredients = tastiness guaranteed. So thank you Tommi, for providing me with another fabulous recipe. Seriously, you just saved me the thousands of dollars it would have cost to venture back to Europe for these wonderful croissants.

I halved the recipe and got a dozen wee little croissants that were perfect for a breakfast when paired with a small side of fruit. While I was making them, I got a little fold happy and ended up making more single and double folds than required in the original recipe, but I think layers add flavor too. Right? Right. Oh, and the egg wash? Do it. Even if it feels like a major waste of an egg, these don't brown up unless they've gotten the egg wash.


I'll be sending this over to that fab weekly roundup: Yeastspotting.

17 comments:

Jude said...

This has always been on my to try list... Have no idea how to manage those fold.
I named my starters yin and yang (one white, one rye) :)

Liliana said...

These look soooo good! I haven't had breakfast yet and I would love to eat it for breakfast with a bowl of caffe au lait.

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! These look lovely and what a delightful breakfast.

rainbowbrown said...

Dang! Awesome. Awesome City. That's so awesome that you made these. They look really, really good...
I've got to go make some.

Di said...

Gorgeous! I'm so jealous--I want croissants. =) They've been on my to-do list for quite a while, and who knows when I'll get to them.

Maya said...

How very interesting...Looks yummy.

Susan said...

Wow, those are lovely! Now you'll never have to visit France again ;)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Lovely! Lovely tenacious little beasties oh how I love them! Isn't it fun to discover just how good you are!

Jaime said...

mmmmm you're making me crave croissants! congrats on making your first ones

Everyday Gourmet said...

Great job! They look awesome! So your husband runs marathons... Have you ever thought of doing one with him? I have been trying to talk mine into it for 5 years. He just agreed to do a half with me : )

Everyday Gourmet said...

I feel so silly! I mixed you up with someone else. You do run marathons and are training for one right now. OOPS... I love training so I can eat more sweets then I normally would.

Mara said...

mmmm i was just in france 2 weeks ago and their choco croissants are heavenly. i don't even bother with them locally now...but making my own, yikes, dangerously slippy slope!!! my jeans can't handle it! FAB job!

Peggy said...

I love the cakelet idea! Can I come over for a slice and a cup of joe? :) Seriously, it looks delicious.

Maggie said...

I love croissants but can't stand wasting the calories on the flavorless clamshell container ones. These definitely look worth the calories!

Karleen said...

These look soooooo good. One day I will be brave enough to try them!

Sarah said...

These look wonderful and are just what I've been looking for, but it looks like the referring blog is gone . . . might you have the recipe still? I'd LOVE it!

Best,
Sarah

Lynbee said...

Yes, i would also love the recipe