Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TWD: Chocolate Chunkers


Each week, I think that we can't top the previous week's decadence. Especially as the Tuesdays with Dorie crew ventures into layer cakes, puddings, and cookies. But then Claudia of Fool for Food chose these cookies - these cookies! Cookie doesn't really describe what these are, and pictures don't do justice to how they taste. Let's be honest. They look like turds. Lumpy, brown, and studded with random chunks, these are not photogenic cookies. Not only that, but how do they manage to stick together? Let me give you a quick rundown of what's in these things - chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, cocoa, oh and peanuts and currants too. Maybe a little flour? Just a spoonful though, not too much.

Yeah, these babies have over a pound of chocolate in them, and more cocoa than flour! I saw this recipe and immediately wondered how in the world they would stick together! As I melted, stirred, and added ingredients, my skepticism remained. I had been asked to bring these to the boyfriend's apartment just this past weekend to snack on since we had a couple college friends visiting from Iowa, so I had to hope that they would turn out okay. After mixing up the batter last Wednesday, I had to quickly stash it in the fridge so I could go to my kickball game (yeah, kickball is awesome - there are three full leagues here in Oshkosh arranged by skill level!). I had expected to bake them that night since I didn't want them to chill too long, but after a trip to the local pizza place afterwards, I realized I'd have to bake them Thursday.


Well, Thursday came along, and I pulled the bowl out. Taking my trusty medium cookie scooper, I scoo- Okay, no biggie, the scoop got stuck. And the "batter" is now rock hard. So I should have thought that, given the large quantity of chocolate, this cookie dough would harden into some funky rock. But hey! I was excited about kickball! So sue me, k?

Crossing my fingers, I turned my oven on and place the bowl of cookie dough right in front of the vent on the top of my oven. It's my chosen dough-rising and butter-softening place, since hot air is vented out of the oven right there. I cheat, it's true. After about a half hour, my oven was up to temp, but the dough? Yeah, still not scoopable. I had to practically chisel the stuff out of the bowl, pack it into the cookie scoop, and then pry it out and pat it into a semi-cohesive lump on the silicone mat. Over and over again. Into the oven they went, and 11 minutes later, out they came. They hadn't changed. No rise, no melting, no spreading. Umm... I've reached the praying stage here, just so you know. Again with the chiseling, packing, and shaping, into the oven, out of the oven. Again and again. Because even though the recipe says 24 cookies, it LIES. Lies I tell you! Mine made 44 cookies using a medium cookie scoop. 44!

As you well know, these all got packed away the next morning to take to the boyfriend's, no snacking as they came out of the oven. I did manage to con a friend and coworker into trying them near the end of the workday though. She ate one, and almost immediately asked if I had brought milk with me. Evidently, one cannot eat that much chocolate without needing something to cut the sweetness and clear the chocolate from their mouth. In fact, when the boyfriend and our college friends tried them, they had the same reaction. Milk. Now. Oh yeah, and can I have another? Their verdict (besides a desperate need for milk) was fudge. Fudgy, chunky brownie cookies. You couldn't really taste the peanuts or currants very strongly, so they were definitely background flavors. Dorie's penchant for putting raisins into chocolate things is growing on me though, I have to admit.

PS - I changed things up just the littlest bit, mostly because I'm easily conned into trying novelty chips for cookies. Instead of the semisweet and white chocolates, I used mini Reese's pieces and semisweet - white chocolate swirled chips. Instead of raisins, I plumped up the same amount of currants because I like the size of currants better (and because I had run out of raisins). Baking for 11 minutes might have been a little short too, because these were Fudgy. Yes, fudgy with a capital F. You could probably get away with baking them for 12-13 minutes instead, especially right out of the fridge.

PPS - Did anyone else gasp with shock when they realized there were only 3 tablespoons of butter in these? I went and softened two sticks just out of habit before I realized I wouldn't even need half a stick!

Last Week: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops
Next Week: Dimply Plum Cake

66 comments:

Erin said...

The butter shocked me too. I went to glance at the recipe to see how much butter I needed to soften and when I saw 3 tbsp and that i was melting it anyways I was surprised. I ended up halving the recipe and using dried cherries and pecans and they turned out great. Your cookies look great :)

kim said...

they look awesome! lol about the butter. i didn't chill my dough and i had a seriously hard time getting these off the sheet, they had to sit there for about an hour before they would come off in one piece!

Judy said...

I used currants, too. I much prefer them to raisins in cookies. They give a fruity essence without being obnoxious. Nice job with the cookies.

Cristine said...

Glad they still turned out even after forming into a rock in the fridge! :)

Lori said...

it's so funny that you got so many cookies! i got 25, which was just fine with us. they were incredibly great, weren't they!

Rigby said...

My shock over the butter was swayed only by the amount of baking chocolate that went into this recipe. Your cookies look tasty--I haven't tried currants before. Sounds like something to look into.

Pamela said...

I was really surprised at how little butter there was, too. Of course now that I've realized that there was more than a pound of chocolate, I'm in a new kind of shock. I stuck mine in the fridge, too. I had to lop of chunks with a knife to get the dough on the pan. :o)

Di said...

I was surprise by the small amount of butter, too. =) I love the Reese's pieces idea!

Anne said...

I couldn't believe the butter either but after adding all the chocolate I knew why! I was shocked how hard the dough got in the freezer, though, and was worried it would break my scoop- good job getting your scooped out!

Madam Chow said...

Yes, the lack of butter is shocking, until you consider all the fat in the pound of chocolate!
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

chocolatechic said...

I thought I'd at least need 2 sticks of butter, but no...only 3 tbsp. I almost fainted.

I did chilled my dough too.

Big mistake

SiHaN said...

putting it inside the fridge. a bad idea. But at least they turned out great! Just look at the photo. yum! all the chocolate turned out great!

Cathy said...

Kickball -- that's fabulous!! In my kickball playing days, someone would yell "CAR!!!!" every couple of minutes, and then everyone would scurry over to the side of the street. Good times. Sorry that you ended up with a hard chocolate mountain, but maybe all of that work chiseling is what enabled you to end up with 44 (!!!) cookies! I ended up with 24 exactly, and I could have really used an extra twenty. I was shocked by the tiny amount of butter as well. I had to read the recipe three times, and then call the hubs over to have him read it and confirm that I was seeing straight. Your cookies look suberb!

rainbowbrown said...

Alright lady. I need to lodge a complaint. You made me feel a little gross about the color brown. As you might have guessed brown is my favorite color. You know why? Because it's beautiful. Just because something is brown doesn't mean it should be likened to poo! You know damn well that your cookies didn't look like poo. They look like big brown chunky chocolate chunkers. I think they look rather pleasant, all brown like. Okay I'm done.

Chocolate is brown. So is bourbon.

CB said...

I have a feeling that Dorie won't be changing these to "Turd Chunkers" anytime soon. HAHA. I love your reese piece addition. It probably cut some of the overwhelming chocolate, no? Thats hilarious that you had to break out the power tools for the dough but kick ball (and pizza) is worth it I'd say! ;)
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

April said...

I too was amazed at the lack of butter! Great looking cookies, I bet the currants were tasty.

Maci said...

haha, your post is funny! They are not photogenic..but they are sooo good!

Susie Homemaker said...

That's funny. My hub took a bite. One. He said they're good, but I need milk. I told him we were out and that he couldn't have any of Seven's. So that one bite is all he managed. I took one for the team and ate a bunch of them myself, though. :)

Carmen Cooks said...

Haha - I was in a bit of shock that only 3 T of butter was used too! Also, I almost chilled my dough before baking it - but so glad I didn't, after reading how hard it was for you to get it out of the bowl afterwards! Looks like your cookies turned out wonderfully though!

Maria said...

You did Reeses?? Awesome idea!! The cookies look wonderful!

PANTRY REVISITED by Peggy said...

I was shocked at the butter. Your cookies look great. I used butterscotch chips in mine.

MacDuff said...

I LOVE the reeses pieces idea. I was thinking "These would be good with peanut butter chips, too." And yes, over a pound of chocolate. How many miles are we running today?

And happy belated birthday!!!

Laura said...

I had to read the ingredients again just to be sure about the butter and flour amounts. I think your cookies look great - mine definitely looked, well, like little piles of poo. Glad I got past that though and tried them because, OMG what a good cookie! Had to laugh at your experience with the chilled dough - too funny!

Jamie said...

They looks fall-esque with the orange and yellow pieces peeking through the chocolate...YUM

SUGAR BETTY said...

Yours came out nicely. Mine really did look like turd balls. But they were chocolatey delicious! Thanks for always leaving comments on my site! You are awesome! :)

jessbcuz said...

yes! I double checked that butter too. I almost always pull out 2 sticks to soften before I even look at a recipe... this time 1 2/3 of those sticks had to go back in the fridge for next time!

Flourchild said...

Ya I was wondering about the butter thing too. Im glad they turned out and tasted so good. I love your cookies..they do look like poop..your right..HA =)

Natashya said...

Dorie is the reason I now buy 2-3 pounds of butter at a time, I was surprised at the small amount too.
I am glad your buddies liked them, looking forward to plum cake!

Mary Ann said...

You are cracking me up-Yes, I did a double take on the butter and thought there must be a misprint and also didn't think there was anyway they would actually bake into a cookie. I love your fun additions and how perfectly round they are!

Nickki said...

I was shocked at the lack of butter too! Your cookies look so good :)

Melissa said...

Yours look awesome!! The currants were a nice touch.
I bought that small batch baking book you suggested a few weeks ago. Your mini layer cakes were the cutest!! I'm making them tonight!

Love your blog.

Megan said...

You're the second person to realize that all that chocolate sets into one large glob. However, your choice of add-ins clearly supersedes the need for perfectly formed cookies. Chocolate and peanut butter is THE BEST!

By the way, my cake will be amazing.........

Mara said...

hee hee i am easily swayed as well...i used more butter as well because i thought that has to be wrong, and i used more flour also. i love mods...!!

Food.Baby said...

They sound delicious! We can't get Reece's very easily here in Australia which is a good thing - I'd put them in everything! I've passed on a blog award to you, you can pick it up at my site http://food-baby.blogspot.com :)

Jules Someone said...

I am with you on the butter. I was shocked! Yeah, a trip to the fridge really didn't help these. Oh well!

Carol Peterman said...

Oh man, the remainder of my dough is in the fridge to be baked later. I will plan plenty of re-warming time before I attempt scooping. A real kickball league? Wow!

The Kitchen Vixen said...

these were beyond amazing. The fact that there was so little butter and flour made me even more excited for them. it meant there would be more chocolate. lots more. your cookies look scrumptious

Prudy said...

Mini reese's pieces? I didn't know there was such a thing and now of course, I won't be able to rest until I make another batch and add them in. Yes, 3 T of butter caught my eye for sure.

Passionate Baker said...

wellll, despite all the rough stuff, they still looked like they turned out great!!
making me want one of mine right now!
great job!
<3

Lauren said...

i too was shocked by how little butter there was i these. love the use of reeses bits. YUM. great job!

TeaLady said...

So much chocolate. So little time. Your cookies look delish. Too bad they got hard. Some of mine got hard even before I baked them. Great job!

Tammy said...

I loved these too. I think these are my favourites of the cookies we have baked

Melissa said...

I bet those Reese's Pieces tasted great in these! My batter got a little hard too... but they turned out delicious!

PheMom said...

It definitely was a hinckey looking recipe wasn't it - somehow, it all comes together though and yours look great. (By the way, I totally forgot about hoarding my whole nutmeg too - and Parmesan Reggiano). :)

Kait said...

I thawed 2 sticks of butter the night before... and then flipped when I saw it only needed 3 tbsp. And my batter only made about 20 cookies but they were quite large. Wish mine had yielded 44--more to go around!

Liliana said...

Your cookies look so delicious! I opted out from baking these cookies as we were all cookied out from the previous weeks. I am getting my 'chocolate fix' just byreading everyone's blog.

Jessica Eiden said...

Your cookies look fantastic. And yes, they are delicious! Great job.

Erin said...

These look great! I love the addition of the Reese's chips. That was funny what you said about the butter- I was really surprised too!

Isa said...

Yeeeees! I was also pretty surprised by how little butter they had! And I was even more suprised by how fudgy and delicious they were despite that fact!
I'm glad they turned out good for you =)

Mike Spoodles said...

Your little chocolate turds look a lot chunkier than mine! Must be the roughage. I wish I had put nuts in, but I have a brother who wouldn't touch the things that way. Nice hint about the currants--I've really got to give them a go.

The Food Librarian said...

Mine didn't move either! After the first batch came out, I slapped my next batch down (and yes, 1/2 batch made 24 cookies which would have given me 48 for a full batch!!) Your look great!!! As always, a funny post and great photos.

Bria said...

I started to freak out too when I couldn't scoop out the cookies from my kitchenaid bowl! The mix was rock hard! Thankfully my trusty knife came to the rescue.

Mary said...

I need to get a cookie scoop. Yours definitely look less turd-like than mine! I was surprised by the butter too.-Mary

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Always enjoy your posts. So you only had one Chunker? That is truly commendable.

LyB said...

I never thought I'd say this but... Too much chocolate! Yours look great though, really fudgy. :)

Kayte said...

Yes, I was shocked about the butter...I was thinking, am I reading this right??? I thought I saw Reese's pieces peeking out of yours...what a good idea, Alex would love that substitution! Rock hard is a good description of the dough...I left it out an hour before I could scoop...and I seriously need to get some of those scoops you have...next gift certificate I get to Sur La Table is netting a scoop or two! Love your post, as always.

www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

Tracey said...

I bet they were tasty with the reese's pieces! I didn't make my cookies until yesterday afternoon and appreciated your heads-up about not refrigerating the dough!

Teanna said...

Hahahah I did the same thing! I was like... only THREE TBSPS of butter?! Does Dorie have a fever!

What an adventure this was for you! It sounds like they were still great, though!

Carla said...

There was only a small amount of butter because there was no more room after all that chocolate haha I ended up with 24 cookies, so maybe you just made them really small??

bakingwiththeboys said...

The butter...the flour...it all shocked me but it worked. Sounds like you got a work out just getting them into the oven!

Barbara said...

I chilled the batter too. Gave up on the scoop and formed it with my hands instead. Also ended up with more and smaller cookies, which I think was a good thing! They are so rich, almost more like candy.

Love your pictures of the little chunky monsters!

Tammie said...

LOL at the turd comment! Too true though! I also was shocked at the amount of butter. It didn't seem Dorie-esque! :-)

Liz said...

Seriously, I think Dorie does have a bit of a chocolate and raisin problem. (But that may be my own personal bias speaking...) I was surprised at how quickly these firmed up, but fortunately I was able to scoop them in time to avert disaster. Still, when they taste this good, appearance concerns are really secondary, right?

Jess said...

Mini Reese's pieces...yesssss! They look delicious. For all this chocolate, I'd better be getting some anti-oxidant benefits or something...

Karleen said...

Haha I love that Dorie's recipes have conditioned you to soften two sticks of butter. These were choclatey-fudgey indeed!

Jaime said...

your cookies definitely look chunky! :) i was surprised w/the lack of butter too