Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Apple PieCrumbleTarts

You Want Pies With That


For the inaugural "You Want Pies With That?" event, we were to bake a pie inspired by a movie. Now, I'm not a movie-watching sort of gal; I read books, and will choose books over a movie or tv just about any time of day. As a result, I had to enlist my sister to help me out with this one, since she watches more movies than I do and also remembers which ones she's watched better than I do. Unfortunately, I tend to forget what movies I do watch, and half the time I don't even remember what happened in them if I do remember watching them.


But I made an exception. Because people, this is about the pie. The Pie. And I love pie. I love pie enough that I got a couple suggestions from my sister as to movies, rented the movies, watched them, and then picked a movie upon which to base my pie. Yeah, I'm hard core like that.


The two suggestions that she came up with right away were Chocolat and Waitress. As can clearly be seen, there is no chocolate here, thus Chocolat was not my inspiration. Oh no, it was Waitress. Because I love the fact that she named her pies so uniquely. And because it inspired me to rename this apple piecrumbletart - "I hate shiftwork but love fall" pie. Because I do. Hate shiftwork and love fall, that is.


So there you have it. A pie, based on a movie. It's a pretty awesome pie, if I do say so myself. I made three little ones, and two are already gone. The third is merely awaiting its fate. So if you want to partake in my "I hate shiftwork but love fall" pie, here's how to do it:

Pie Crust (enough for a single 9" pie crust or 5 tartlets)

1 cup flour
1/2 cup Crisco (heaping)
3-4 tablespoons ice water
pinch salt

Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cut in the Crisco with a pastry blender until you have coarse crumbs, up to the size of a pea. Slowly add ice water a tablespoon at a time and use a couple of forks to work it into the flour mixture. Only add enough ice water for the dough to hold together when you squeeze some in your hand. Turn out onto a well floured board and roll out into the appropriate size for your chosen pan.

Apple Filling

5 apples
1/4 cup flour (or more if your apples are especially juicy)
1/3 cup sugar (adjust for the sweetness of your apples)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Peel, core, and dice the apples. I went with 1/2" dice for my tarts, but you can go bigger in a full-scale pie. Mix with flour, sugar, and spices.

Crumble

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together all ingredients until they resemble coarse crumbs.

Apple PieCrumbleTarts: The Assembly

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make the pie crust, filling, and crumble topping. Mound apple filling into the unbaked pie crust and bake for 25 minutes. Take the pie out and top with as much crumble as you'd like (I didn't use all of it). Put back in the oven and bake until apples just yield to a sharp knife and crumble topping is crispy. Let cool for as long as you can stand it - this isn't a sturdy pie crust, it's FLAKY, so it will fall apart if you're not nice to it.

Makes 1 9" pie or 5 tartlets.

24 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love how you said "Yeah, I'm hard core like that." What a play on words considering you made an apple pie/tart. I am surprised I caught that considering the time. These look amazing and I love your movie. I love the name of your pie. Very creative and they look darn good,especially in that fall foilage!

Judy said...

I'm a pie lover, too. Any kind of pie will do. Madame Chow and I chose the same movie, so now you MUST see it!

The Food Librarian said...

Love this pie and the cute name. I loved the movie Waitress. Great welcome to fall tart!

Madam Chow said...

I love pie, too, Caitlin. And would you believe, I almost chose Cocolat, too? And I've never seen Waitress, and must remedy that.
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

April said...

Love the pie! And the name of it too!!

Megan said...

I'd rather read, too! I love apples and with fall approaching, that looks like the perfect whatever-you-are-calling-it pie/crumble!! Yum!

Lady Baker said...

Oh this has just put me in the mood for all things Fall! All at once I want to go don the fleece and go apple picking, come home and have some spiced chai tea, light my "Harvest" scented Housewarmer Yankee Candle---AND MAKE THIS PIE!

...And then eat it while watching Waitress! :)

The name and the photography are very creative!

Elizabeth said...

I love it! Mmmm, fall!

I don't think our pies can be friends though, because yours will be the "pretty friend" and mine will be the ugly one, and that's just not good for its self esteem.

Susie Homemaker said...

I'll take that pie. Looks great!

rainbowbrown said...

Very cool pie name. I...um...want one of the small pies. K? Okay. I've got to say I'm probably not going to watch Waitress, but you pie people are making me want in on this pie/film thing more and more...

Di said...

Ooh, yum! My absolute favorite pie is apple with crumb topping. I don't think I've ever made an apple pie with a regular top crust. The minis are adorable. =)

Dianne's Dishes said...

I love the name of your pie! And great movie to pick since the group is loosely based off of it. Your pie looks fabulous! Apples are just perfect for this time of year too.

bakingwiththeboys said...

They look perfect. I need to see waitress. Love your pie name.

Natashya said...

Great theme! I went and rented Waitress when I joined too.
Love the shot on the fall ground.
The pie looks wonderfully delish and comforting.

Melissa said...

The pie looks delish. I love your pictures with the grass and the leaves in the background!

Tammy said...

your pie looks delicious! I love apple crumble and in a pie - how divine!

PheMom said...

Such darling little pies! I hope someone does a theme inspired by books sometime too, great job!!

Jacque said...

LOL, glad you found a pie to fit the movie, or visa versa. It looks positively delish! (I loves me some apple pie.)

Oh, and I'm with you on the shift work, around about 3 or 4 am starts to feel a little like torture.

tami said...

I agree with hating swift work hours! And your cute little pies look awesome - great job!

Jaime said...

mmmm i love all things apple. nice submission for this event!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

OMG, that's my kind of pie. I love a crumble crust. Can't keep from picking at them and bemoaning my gluttony later. Mmmmm.

Alicia said...

I believe there will be a twin to your pie very shortly. It shall be named "I hate night shift, but love fall." I need to find out where you're getting your little baking ware. It's too cute.

Allergy Mom said...

The crumbles on top look amazing! Libby

Michelle said...

these look exceptionally good!