Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October DB Challenge: Pizza


Pizza? Really? But I already had a recipe for pizza dough that I liked! And here people have to go, giving me choices. That's not very nice. Not only that, I had to decide what went on the pizza too! And attempt to toss it! Umm... yeah, I'll get right on that one... The boyfriend did get a kick out of imagining all sorts of funny shots we could get - pizza dough on the ceiling, on his face, with my fist through the middle of it, yada yada yada. Mostly, I think he just wanted to see me make a fool of myself :)


In the end though, it wasn't too daring of a challenge for me. The dough came together easy peasy and was seriously the softest, most satiny dough I've ever worked with. Amazing texture, almost like a little pillow. I froze half of the 6 dough balls (yay impromptu pizza nights!) and saved three to take over to a friend's house so we could make pizza for dinner one Saturday night. Putting our heads together, we came up with pizza topping ideas:

Barbecue chicken with cheddar
Mushroom & onion with provolone/mozzarella blend
Mushroom & onion & chicken with provolone / mozzarella blend

Now, you won't really see photos of those (although I was told the barbecue chicken one was delicious) because, well... I forgot my camera. So we used their camera but didn't take pictures of anything but the tossing step. So I had to defrost one of those dough balls and make another pizza - darn! I decided to make it a bit more interesting and to my taste (the boyfriend's first suggestion for toppings was pepperoni - hmph). And that's how you get the pizza that's in front of you: Spinach, tomato, & goat cheese



It was amazing, although I made a couple notes for when I try this again - I should have used more spinach, since my single layer wilted down to almost nothing (or maybe defrosted frozen spinach, so I don't have to worry about the wilt factor). Also, after I chopped the tomatoes, I squeezed them gently to get rid of seeds and extra juice, and that was a smart move. It could have ended up quite soggy otherwise. The only real problem was with the goat cheese. I put it on top before baking, and it dried out and lost a lot of its tangy flavor, so I'll just crumble it on top after baking next time. Also, since I have a gas range and oven, I had to stick my pizza under the broiler to really brown up the crust. Not a real problem, but it was necessary for a prettier pizza :)


This probably won't take over as my favorite pizza crust though, for several reasons. I like that my other recipe doesn't require kneading at all, only 10-12 hrs in the fridge, and makes just enough for two individual pizzas. It's crispier rather than bready, and I had better luck avoiding soggy crusts with that recipe. That's not to say my remaining two dough balls won't get used - they definitely will. This was a wonderful recipe, I had fun attempting to toss the dough (although I practically just picked it up and gravity stretched it out for me!), and it was nice to have so much freedom with toppings. Thanks go to Rosa of Rosa's Yummy Yums for picking this, a tribute to Sher of What did you eat?, and go check out the other DB'ers awesome pizzas - maybe their tossing pics turned out better than mine :)

43 comments:

Natashya said...

Looks great to me. I was thinking of taking a pic of the dough on a dog's head but thought it might be a waste of dough - and possibly difficult to remove from the dog.
I love the spinach goat cheese, tomato combo - all great flavours. Your go-to recipe, is that from Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day?

Leslie said...

I love your idea for the frosting! Couldn't agree more on candy melts (but the ganache was yummers).

Cristine said...

Looks yummy! On my spinach pizza I used frozen and it worked like a charm! :) Great post!

Food.Baby said...

That looks amazing! Love your flavour combos.

Sarah said...

spinach, tomato, and goat cheese? yes please!

Di said...

Your topping combinations sound yummy--especially the mushroom and chicken. I'm usually boring and eat plain cheese. =) And I agree, the dough just about stretched itself.

Lori said...

what a beautiful pizza!

Susan said...

Looks like just the right amount of spinach to me, and the whole thing is colorful and beautiful.

ostwestwind said...

What a beautiful looking pizza, I love the combination of pizza and goat cheese

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Love your spinach and goat cheese!
One thing I've found with cheese (any kind) try putting the spinach on top of the cheese. I generally stick with fresh spinach, frozen seems to give off so much more water.
I couldn't toss this either, you're right gravity pretty much did it ;0)

Alexa said...

Your pizza looks light and lovely. I would love a slice.

Laura said...

I love spinach on pizza - great combo with the goat cheese and fresh tomatoes! The others sound good too, but I've always preferred just cheese and all sorts of veggies on my pizza (spinach, mushrooms and green olives - YUM!).

I got an award on Monday from n.o.e. and want to pass it on to you. I just love reading your blog - you're so talented, both at cooking and writing!

bittersweetblog said...

Your pizzas look really great- very fresh flavors, too.

Marija said...

Very nice, colorful pizza! Great job!

Ally said...

Looks wonderful, and the toppings sound wonderful (yummy goat cheese!)

strawberriesinparis said...

yummm goat cheese on pizza!

Lynnylu said...

Your pizza looks fabulous. Great crusts.

Judy said...

How did you get the square shape by tossing? (Or not?) They all sound delicious. I have so many pizza dough recipes now, it's a toss up which one to use. Oh, pun. ;)

Mary said...

I love spinach on pizza. BTW, my dough hit the ceiling once while tossing. :)

Libby said...

Looks beautiful! I agree, not my favorite crust, and it didn't toss well- but any excuse to make pizza is fine by me!

Tammy said...

Your pizza looks stunning - Very Italian!!

HoneyB said...

Oh, I wish I could have seen your other pizza's too! :)

The one you have photographed here looks so yummy!

Your BF is funny....kinda like my grumpy in that he would have thought it funny for you to have your pizza go on the ceiling or through your fist...

NQN said...

I loved this dough too but it is time consuming. Maybe I'll make some up when I have time and freeze them as I can't imagine thinking that far ahead for dinner! Your pizza has great colours and thanks for the tip about the tomatoes and goat's cheese :)

Bumblebutton said...

Lovely versions. I agree that gravity sort of removed the whole tossing necessity. It was fun, though, and easy.

dinneranddessert said...

Looks great! I love your choice of toppings. I think pizza is fun because of the endless possibilities of toppings!

Lesley said...

Your pizza looks so HEALTHY. And I love the red wine, a must for pizza!
Spinach and goat cheese...yum!

Heather B said...

I think I could eat the whole pizza and not feel guilty, yours looks so healthy! Great job!

Jacque said...

You win the prize for most colorful pizza :) sounds yummy too.

My dough did the same thing when I went to pick it up.

Zoe Francois said...

Your pizza looks so fresh and lovely. It reminds me of summer, just lovely!

Chris said...

This looks like it would be so satisfying! The veggies scream delish! Well done!

Jude said...

Looks great... I also have a few batches of dough balls frozen, too. Comes in pretty handy :)

Cristine said...

I have an award for you at my blog whenever you get a chance to stop by! :)

Liliana said...

Love your choice of toppings and I agree with you about the dough - it was the easiest pizza dough I have ever worked.

MeetaK said...

I like the spinach goat cheese combination!I have never tried barbecue chicken on a pizza before though. Great job Caitlin!

rainbowbrown said...

In the broiler, huh? That sounds pretty nifty, I'll have to give it a try. Lovely topping choices.

Nemmie said...

YUM! Your pizza looks fantastic, and the original 3 flavors sound pretty aweseome too!

By the way, love that you're an Oshkosh gal - I'm from Fondy originally :)

bakinginoregon said...

Nicely done. Good to know about the goat cheese if I try it in the future.

Baking Soda said...

Swell combination! Pizza tossing really sets yr fantasy at work, no?

Carmen Cooks said...

Your pizza looks gorgeous! Looking at all these DB pizzas is making me crave it (yes, at not even 11:00 a.m.). :)

Em said...

Your pizza turned out SO GREAT!!!

Jaime said...

where's the tossing pic? i didn't get one b/c i didn't even toss mine. the spinach tomato and goat cheese combo looks amazing!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love goat cheese and it looks very good to me! You hallah is also amazing!

Jenny said...

Now that looks like a good topping to me, I love goat cheese and spinach.