Friday, November 21, 2008

Pixels are like... Cupcakes?

Yes, the title of the article is what initially made me read it. But in the end, I think it's an interesting enough article that I should share it with those of you who don't endlessly troll the NYTimes website during slow times at work. It's an article in their Tech section, discussing how the size and number of pixels affects the quality of the final photo. High points:

  • The larger the pixels, the less likely they are to get overwhelmed
  • More pixels does not mean a better picture
  • The size of the sensor has not increased, which has led to more, smaller pixels in cameras
  • More expensive does not mean a better camera
  • Great photographers can get great shots without a dSLR
For those who are interested in their analogy to cupcakes, here's where to find the entire article. There are even some recommendations for good point & shoots as well as entry-level "pro-sumer" dSLRs. All in all, something to consider before shelling out over a thousand dollars so that you can take awesome pictures of your food. Oh yeah, and there are others with the same opinion...

8 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Thanks for this one! I'm off reading now.

breadchick said...

Oh I'm not alone then in the refreshing the NYT.com page during work. It's my home page on Firefox.

I read that article too and thought is was a pretty good article.

Isa said...

Interesting! Thanks for the link :) I'll go read now :D

Lynnylu said...

Thanks for the link. It's nice to keep up to date on the technology

n.o.e said...

Leave it to the Engineer Baker to keep us updated on those tech things! The last camera I bought I didn't even want all those megapixels, but I did want some of the other features. btw, the link didn't work for me.

I'm also passing a blog award to you, Caitlin. I always enjoy your posts, and am seriously in awe of your baking skills! Stop by my blog to claim it.
Nancy

Beth said...

Hi! I gave you a blog award, so please stop by to check it out :-)

Matt's Kitchen said...

Thank you so much for the link to Use Real Butter. Great photography tips!

Matt's Kitchen said...

Good grief. I'm losing my mind. I also meant to say I've left you an award on my blog. I actually received several in the past few days. Feel free to pick the one you like best. Your work is worthy of all of them!

Matt

http://www.mattskitchen.com