Friday, January 16, 2009

Peanut Butter Korova Cookies


Okay, so these pictures do not in any way make up to all of you my inability to bake and ship each and every one of you a truckload of these cookies. Because some things are just meant to be. Destined. Like peanut butter and chocolate.

You see, while the boyfriend will say that his favorite flavor combo (dessert-wise) is chocolate and mint, I sort of have a gag reflex for that one. But peanut butter and chocolate? I melt. In fact, when I don't have the time to bake something, a spoonful of peanut butter topped with mini chocolate chips is one fantastic dessert stand-in. Or snack. Or breakfast. I go through inhuman amounts of peanut butter.

Which is why having two logs of these cookies sitting in my freezer was perfect. All I had to do was preheat the oven, slice a couple cookies off a log, bake, and enjoy. Man I love icebox cookies. Oh, and whenever I was feeling *ahem* a little impatient, I just sliced the cookies off and ate them frozen. Even that was fan-freaking-tastic.


By the way, I used TJ's mini peanut butter cups in these, but I used to be able to find Reese's mini peanut butter cup baking pieces (those were dangerous). Now I can't, and that makes me sad. Anyone know if they just discontinued them? I mean, TJ's are awesome, but there isn't as much pb filling and the filling is creamier, which made the cookies a bit oozy when they were right out of the oven.

Peanut Butter Korova Cookies (adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my home to yours)

1 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup mini peanut butter cups

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together

Working with a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and peanut butter until smooth and creamy. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla and beat for two more minutes.

Turn off the mixer. Pour the dry ingredients in, drape a kitchen towel over the bowl to keep flour from flying, and pulse the mixer on low a few times. Take the towel off and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, or just until the flour disappears. Don't worry if it looks a little crumbly - that contributes to the sandy texture of these cookies. Toss in the mini peanut butter cups and mix just until incorporated.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it together and divide in half. Working with one half at a time, shape into logs 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours. They can be refrigerated up to three days or frozen up to two months.

To bake, center a rack in the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

Slice the cookies using a thin sharp knife, making them 1/2 inch thick. If they crack, just squeeze the bits together - they'll bake up just fine. Arrange the rounds on the cookie sheets with at least one inch between them.

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 12 minutes. They won't look done, but will firm up outside of the oven. Transfer the sheet to a cooling rack and let the cookies cool until they are just warm, at which point you can serve them.

Packed airtight, the baked cookies can be stored at room temperature for three days, or frozen up to two months.

Makes about 36 cookies.

33 comments:

Marie said...

mmmm . . . peanut butter and chocolate. A classic combination that never fails to please! Those look fantastic!

dorie said...

Such a great idea -- I'm going to try adding peanut butter to the cookies this weekend. Thank you!

Jude said...

I'm glad (?) I'm not the only one who eats raw cold cookie dough. No adverse after effects yet so I guess I'll keep doing it.

Jess said...

Those look great - chocolate and PB is also one of my favorite combinations. I've made the regular version and had crumbling issues - I bet the peanut butter would help bind the dough together.

Amy said...

I'm swooning...

Jodie said...

Ooh, these look fantastic. I'm making them this weekend!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Wow, these sound amazing! Peanut butter and chocolate are perfect together.

strawberriesinparis said...

caitlin- those looks sooo delicious!

n.o.e said...

The regular version of these cookies might be my very favorite cookie, so I don't know about shaking it up! But pb + chocolate = one of my favorite combinations, so I might just have to try it. And I'm with you on the chocolate + mint. Just doesn't do it for me.
Nancy

Gabe's Girl said...

I am with you, PB and Choco, all the way! I love them both. It is amazing how frozen cookie dough helps you in a pinch. I just used some to make a cookie platter for our bus driver who is leaving to stay at home. I was able to make her several different kinds that I had stored!

Awesome Cookies!

pinkstripes said...

Your right. There is nothing like PB and chocolate in the world. Love it. Although, I also like chocolate and mint. :P

Your cookies look delicious!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Good grief I'd say we were twins but you're too much younger than I - we sure gag and melt in the same spots. I know just what you mean about having these at the ready for a hot oven but cold is just fine too. Oh yes I do know. I need some of these cookies.

Snooky doodle said...

these cookies are just delicious. I m a peanut butter freak and I love it especially topped with Nutella . I don t find peanut butter chips here but perhaps its a fortune since i ll devour bags of it :) these I have to try them though, they won t stay long in freezer though.

Banjo said...

I can never deny peanut butter and chocolate... they were made for each other. ;) Great recipe!

jillbert said...

I like chocolate and mint but I LOVE chocolate and peanut butter! These look awesome.

Megan said...

It's a good thing those cookies are only on the screen, not right in front of me. Pb and chocolate is my absolute favorite, and I thought I was the only one that topped a spoonful of pb with chocolate chips and called it dessert ;)

vibi said...

LOL LOL I know the feeling of... not being able to wait to eat something you enjoy so much, you have to have it frozen! You want a real gag reflex? I used to eat frozen egg rolls, I liked them so much! LOL LOL
But man, you can sure send me a truckload of these babies instead! ...whenever you want! Frozen of not!

Natashya said...

Those look so fudgy and good!
It would be very comforting knowing that they resided in the freezer for quick baking!

Di said...

You are evil, Caitlin. =) Thanks to you, I just _had_ to buy the Reese's peanut butter cup baking pieces when I went grocery shopping tonight. I'm not sure yet if I'll make these or maybe add them to some brownies.

Matt's Kitchen said...

Peanut butter and chocolate ranks right up there with coffee and chocolate in my book. Delicious!

Liz said...

A-maz-ing! The cookies look so shiny and chocolatey and gooey good, I could leap through my computer screen.

spike. said...

I can't decide which I want more, the frozen dough or the finished cookie. yum

Carla said...

I agree - PB and chocolate is the best combo ever! I'll have to look these cookies up in Dorie's book, but I'll probably end up using your idea.

Brilynn said...

I looove the korova cookies though I've never tried them with peanut butter. I'm sure they were great!

Pamela said...

Mmmm...nothing wrong with a frozen cookie, in my opinion! This is a great cookie to start with and your version looks outstanding! I can't find those Reese's baking bits, either.

Vera said...

I love Korova cookies! And this seems like a wonderful twist!

Alwayzbakin said...

Mmmmmmmm! I definately have to try this recipe. I also love peanut butter and chocolate.

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

You really know how to tempt a girl! These look so fabulous. I would be gnawing on the dough straight out of the freezer.

Anne said...

Wow, those look even better than the originals! I would be eating them out of the freezer too, haha!

Amy said...

Yes, I realize I already commented... but wanted to ask you a question... I was considering trying this version for next weeks TWD.... I've made the regular korova cookies before and they're really sandy, ya know???

Did adding the peanut butter to the dough make the texture any different you think? Like sandier? or less sandy? In the pics, yours look a little shinier than my originals came out, so I was thinking that maybe the peanut butter made them moister and easier to roll into a log???

The Food Librarian said...

Caitlin, Love the profile in THE Dorie Greenspan blog today! How many people can say they inspired Dorie?! Awesome job! These cookies look fantastic!

Barbara said...

Okay, so I'm not the only one who does the spoonful-of-peanut butter-topped-with-chocolate chips? Somehow just knowing that makes me feel less guilty.

Unfortunately (for me) they don't have mini (or regualr size) peanut butter cups here in Italy, but I DO have a recipe to make my own! That's the good news! The bad news is that after making them it's doubtful I would wait to use them to make something else - I'd just eat them up immediately!

OH, and chocolate and mint just doesn't work for me either!

sibylle said...

I just found these and I love the original recipe, but oh, peanut butter and chocolate, yum!! I shall try to make a version without the peanut butter cups, though, as they a)are not on sale around here at all and b) far more sadly, I am totally lactose intolerant and milk chocolate is a thing of the past. But then, there are lots of ways to get the chocolate fix in other ways! Like Korova cookies. :-)