Tuesday, February 3, 2009

TWD: World Peace Cookies, Caffeinated


Now, when I think of world peace, one thing pops into my head. The Miss America pageant. Because wishing for world peace is what stereotypical pageant girls do. You know what I don't think of when someone says world peace? Meetings at 7a when the coffeepot at work is broken. If there's one thing I've learned in the couple years I've been out of college, it's that coffee keeps the world going round. Keep someone from it, and they will be irritable, grouchy, and generally not peaceful.


Which is why I think the solution to that hurdle towards world peace is these cookies. Chewy, sandy, caffeinated cookies studded with chopped up cappuccino chips. Perfect to brighten anyone's day, and you might as well start early, right? With quite a hefty dose of espresso powder, you won't even notice that someone left an ounce of coffee in the pot, let it grow cold, and didn't bother to brew another pot again. That lack of consideration makes me a bit feisty in the morning, and you really don't want me feisty at 6:30a when I get into work. I've been told there's other words to describe how I am when this happens, but for one they aren't blog-appropriate, and for two I refuse to believe them. So there.


Oh yes, and because of that whole "different strokes for different folks" thing, I made two other versions of this cookie here (the original recipe) and here (with peanut butter!). As PW says, whatever makes your skirt fly up. Because what I really want to say is - Thank you, Jessica, for making my skirt fly up. That is, if I wore skirts, they'd fly up. Unfortunately, they get stuck in the large machines that I work around every day. But pants don't really fly up so well, so we'll pretend, mkay?

Caffeinated World Peace Cookies (adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my home to yours)

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
11 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon espresso powder
heaping 3/4 cup cappuccino chips, coarsely chopped

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together.

Beat the butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until soft and smooth. Cream in both sugars, the salt, the vanilla, and the espresso powder. Beat for about 2 minutes.

Dump in the flour mixture and switch to a spatula or wooden spoon. (I know Dorie has you use a towel to prevent flour explosions, but it never works for me - I just go with a bit of elbow grease instead.) Mix until the flour just disappears. It will be slightly crumbly, but will come together just fine once you dump it out onto a counter. Pour the chopped cappuccino chips in and mix until evenly distributed.

Turn the dough out onto a counter. Gather up all the little crumbly bits and work the dough into a more cohesive mass. Divide the dough into two halves and shape each into a log 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I tend to go smaller, but I just like little cookies. Wrap with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. The dough can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 2 months. I tend to freeze them because it makes them a bit less tempting.

Getting ready to bake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.

Using a sharp thin knife (thinner is better - it's a lot less unwieldy than your standard massive knife), slice the log into rounds about 1/2 inch in thickness. If they crumble a bit or crack, don't worry. Just squish the pieces together - they'll bake up just fine. Place the cookie rounds on the baking sheets with at least one inch in between them.

Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. They won't look done, but will finish firming up outside of the oven. Place the cookie sheet on a cooling rack and allow the cookies to cool on the sheet. Once they're just warm or at room temperature, feel free to caffeinate yourself :)

Note: When I take logs out of the freezer, I like to let them sit on the counter for five minutes or so. It makes slicing the cookies a lot easier, with less crumbling and cracking.

Makes about 36 cookies.

Last Week: Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread
Next Week: Floating Islands

64 comments:

rainbowbrown said...

Oh, lady - this is like your playground cookie. I can't even fathom what you'll pump out next. Sounds very, very tasty. Isn't coffee grand? (!!!)

Megan said...

Yes, extra coffee definitely keeps the peace. Well, that and a bit of chocolate helps too.

Marie said...

Great adaption!! Your cookies look wonderfully delicious!

Judy said...

I can just taste the coffee in those cookies. Great choice!

natalia said...

I really love the look of your cookies !!!

MacDuff said...

Nice! I hear you about the coffee pot, too. Around my office, it's common to use paper towels as filters just to get our fix in.

Jamie said...

Your versions sound delicious! Well done!

n.o.e said...

I love how you took this opportunity to play around with the recipe - all of your variations sound fantastic. Me? I just went with my old pictures and called it a day...
Nancy

Steph said...

I was going to add a tsp of coffee in my cookies, but decided to stick with the original since it'st eh first time I've tried these and everyone had such wonderful things to say. Next time, I'm trying your caffeinated version for sure! Although, that will probably be a relaly long time, its too dangerous to have these lying around with a physics test on teh way..

Sabrina said...

WOW! I love your coffee flavored additions! You are so creative!

Kristin said...

I love cookies that are high on caffeine. I've seen so many great variations I'm going to have to make these again soon and give them all a try!

Jennifer said...

Oh.My.Lord.

*thump*

Sorry, I blacked out for a minute....these look awesome!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Great variation! My office is full of coffee slackers too!

Jules Someone said...

Those look mighty tasty. And so energy boosting!

spike. said...

Hmmm, which one to try next coffee or peanut butter? I'll probably end updoing both. Great ideas!

LyB said...

Cappuccino chips? Why have I never heard of those? These cookies do pair well with coffee, and I guess you could say I pair well with coffee too. :)

Jodie said...

Sounds great!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

I love these cookies! They're one of my faves. Yours turned out just great! What a great idea to use cappuccino chips in them! Well done!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

coffee and chocolate together will get any peace treaty signed! these look great, as did your other variations!

Mary said...

brilliant, coffee plus chocolate....I tip my baking hat to you!

vibi said...

Well, your world wouldn't go very round with me, Caitlin! LOL ...don't dringk coffee! LOL But I do loooooove coffee flavored stuff, so I must try these cookies your way next time!
Very good idea!

chocolatechic said...

ooooOOoooo Peanutbutter chips.


I almost added some espresso powder to mine.

Karen said...

I totally need these this morning! Any extra caffiene would be great! :)

Gabe's Girl said...

I want some cappucino chips! What a fantastic addition to the cookies. I just think the flavor welcomes the coffee taste!

Amy said...

Good idea with the cappuccino chips! I bet these were great! I looooove these cookies!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Banjo said...

What a great adaptation! I bet they were fantastic... I made mine weeks ago, and am wishing I had one right now. ;)

Melissa said...

YUM! I've had those cappuccino chips sitting in my cabinets for months. Great idea to use them for!

Madam Chow said...

Coffee plus chocolate is always great. I can't wait to make these, once I get a new oven!

Di said...

Okay, now I have to add espresso powder to the list of things I need to try in these. I already tried your peanut butter variation. =) I'll pass on the cappuccino chips, though I did consider adding some of my Guittard butterscotch chips. Mmm, endless possibilities. =)

Natashya said...

Definitely a good idea to caffeinate those babies! They look awesome. :)

Amanda said...

Love your expresso kick on this one. I will have to try that.... Yours looks wonderful! I love this little cookies!

Peggy said...

I love the cappacino chips idea! These were awesome cookies.

leanne said...

Your right coffee keeps things going! Nice addition.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

I think adding coffee is a great idea. These cookies look so good - nicely rounded and even and quite high.

Jessica said...

Fabulous adaptation, literally and figuratively. I am a beast without my coffee and, to make it worse, I'm convinced that it has magical powers that turn me into some sort of super hero with the ability to "get things done." Not only did you make a great cookie even better but they look fantastic too!

Kaitlin said...

I've never even heard of cappuccino chips, but I think I've got to buy some when I go to the States next. And I thought these would go perfectly with peanut butter - thanks for showing me how it's done :)

Tammy said...

yum, I bet the espresso is a great addition, not that I am a coffee lover, but I do love espresso shortbread

Jill said...

Please stop! When I was eating my cookies, I kept thinking about how good your peanut butter version would be. And now I really want to try the caffeinated ones too! I need to find some cappuccino chips. Now.

Kayte said...

Gorgeous cookies, I have to say...and the photo with that cup right there makes it seem really really inviting. Great job. Mine were a little rustic as I am always afraid of handling the dough too much, whatever the heck that means as I am never really actually sure. I had chocolate from one end of the kitchen to the other...it was totally disgusting, every time I turned around, another chocolate daub appeared out of nowhere. Next week: FLOATING ISLANDS, can you stand it!!

AmyRuth said...

Whoa Caitlin, thanks for the cappuccino hit. That would definitely go well with the chocolate. Sounds really so good and with the fleur de sel as well. Where did you find cappuccino chips? What fun to have the different cookies for sure. Thanks for the fun.
AmyRuth

Cakelaw said...

LOL - I had a similar thought to you, except that I thought of that movie with Sandra Bullock where she pretends to be a beauty queen to infiltrate a crime gang or something. Great cookies - yours are so neat and round. (My logs were almost trapezoids!)

Liliana said...

What's better than chocolate and coffee? Great idea to add the cappuccino chips!

Cathy said...

Espresso powder -- now THAT is the extra little kick that I needed this morning!

A little PB wouldn't have hurt either.

These look great!

Pamela said...

Well, I certainly hope that there's coffee around in the morning, since I'm sure the cookies are all gone. Nice job, Caitlin. These look terrific.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Let the skirts fly! Love this post. Love how you added caffeine. Did you share these at work? I wouldn't. :)

The Food Librarian said...

Wow! What crazy good adaptations! Coffee and peanut butter. That soooo rocks!!

Carol Peterman said...

You are setting me up with all kinds of variations for my next few batches. Espresso powder sounds wonderful and on Ezra Pouncake you were credited with the cocoa nibs suggestion that I also must try! Thanks for the great ideas.

farah said...

I love your variations. I always check your blog to see how you've interpreted a recipe. Good job :)

Jin Hooi said...

creative u !! well done ..

Jess said...

I think you might have to stash some raw caffeinated dough in your office freezer for inconsiderate coffee-less mornings. I can only imagine these with that little hit of espresso...and I really want to try your PB version from a couple of weeks ago. Glad I made your skirt fly up (love that PW).

Teanna said...

Oh I love the espresso addition! And I TOTALLY thought of the Miss America pageant... these cookies should be the answer for their hopes for World Peace!

kim said...

perfect, perfect idea. i would sooo go for these alongside a nice cup of coffee (or as the coffee backup) :)

pinkstripes said...

I love your caffeinated WP cookies and I certainly agree coffee is what keeps the peace (well, at least in my household).

Erin said...

These look great! I love your additions :)

Lillian said...

You are my hero. I'm going to try cinnamon chips and peanut butter chips, but first of all -- possibly tomorrow -- I'm going to try espresso chips. Indubitably.

Ivette said...

Your cookies look amazing and I love your pictures! I also really like that coffee mug :)

Barbara said...

What a great variation! Love it!

You could always say they "make your socks go up and down" -- I picture big striped Pippi Longstocking socks for extra enthusiasm!

Jaime said...

cappuccino chips - my hubby would like that!

CB said...

Look at you Martha. PB and coffee! Noice! I use to love watching Miss America Pageant when I was little. Something about the tiara I think. Hey can you blame me? It was shiny and sparkly and if you wore it, everyone clapped. I think my pageant obsession has died now that I know you can buy a tiara at David's Bridal though. Doesn't seem to have the same appeal anymore... haha. PS. Did you get my package yet? Dying to know if you LOVE everything ;)
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

AmyRuth said...

Okay, still on hold.....check out Dorie's post, girlie!
She loved your peanut butter. So cool. She really does read the blogroll. Where does she find the time?
Congratulations to you!

happytummy said...

cappucino chips? espresso powder? ... and then nutella? you're killing me! they both sound fantastic (even though you didn't like the nutella ones). your pictures are lovely too :)

Jacque said...

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered for a 6:30 start time.

They look so perfect!

Tracey said...

Your cookies look marvelous! Great idea adding the coffee. I have started adding instant espresso powder to some chocolate recipes but I didn't think to do it with this one.

SUGAR B said...

Wow, your look DIVINE! :) Mine looked so rustic.