Friday, May 29, 2009

BBB: Italian Knots


Yes, I did do this month's Bread Baking Buddies challenge - Italian knots. No, I didn't use type 00 flour, and no, I didn't use lard. In fact, I used all-purpose flour and shortening. Please, please don't shoot me, because though I would have loved to find duck fat, that was a bit of a no-go in the central Wisconsin region that I am in currently.

Actually, the most fun part (to me) was trying to figure out the pictures of how to shape the knots. I tried a couple different interpretations, all of which generally turned out as the pictures showed - thank goodness breads are so forgiving! That is especially the case given how I scaled this recipe. I made a quarter of it, which led to using 1/4 g of instant yeast in the barm and 1 1/4 g of instant yeast in the final dough. Umm... yeah, so that became "a pinch" and "a couple pinches, maybe more like a shake" of yeast in each stage.


I thought I had screwed up when I saw the shaped knots proof though. Wow, this dough had some action going on! My rolls were nearly proofed by the time I had finished shaping them! Quickly whisking them into the oven wasn't really possible, since it wasn't on yet, but they seemed to survive.

They were particularly wonderful this past week, as I had them with dinner nearly every night. A couple of those nights, I had some lentil soup that I whipped up quickly after going to the gym - I put too many lentils in, so I've scaled it back a bit. The roll nicely soaked up the broth, and provided entertainment too - my favorite part was "un-knotting" the Italian knot!


Thank you to Ilva and the rest of the Bread Baking Babes for allowing me to bake along this month! As always, it was quite fun, and oh-so-worth it. Since I can't seem to permalink to Ilva's post, you can also find it on Natashya's site.

Vegetarian Lentil Soup
(serves 2-3)

1 tsp olive oil
2 slices red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 pinches cumin
1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups vegetable broth
3 Tbsp red lentils
1/2 cup frozen edamame

In a small pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the red onion, followed by the bell pepper, and saute until the onion is translucent and the red pepper is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Scoot everything to the edges of the pan, and add the tomato paste right into the center of the pan. Move it around there and let it heat up and caramelize a bit before adding the cumin and red pepper flakes. Toast the spices for a minute or two before bringing the vegetables back into the mix. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer over medium to medium-high heat. Once it begins to simmer, add in the red lentils and frozen edamame. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until red lentils are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

27 comments:

Judy said...

Great knots! Mine are just about to come out of the oven. They smell heavenly, too. Your lentil soup sounds yummy as well.

Tracey said...

Your knots look awesome! There's really nothing better than fresh bread. Fresh bread with soup sounds like a great dinner.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

We loved these, too! Those rolls would be good with soup. I still have some in the freezer, so I'll save them for that purpose.

Manggy said...

Maybe I should give these a try, as they're so forgiving! My bread attempts in the past have usually not been :( They do look very well-done! :)

Natashya said...

Love the knot! A great little bun, perfect with soup. Congrats on a well crafted bread, these ones are so versatile and freeze well too.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Nothing could be better with these knots than lentil soup ... ok, how about a BLT ... yeah ... knots are grand!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Yes, I think the hardest part was following the photo's to knot these.

Elyse said...

These knots look awesome! I love dipping bread in soup. Talk about a delicious way to soak up flavor. Hmm, not even sure that last sentence made sense, but I'm just going to roll with it. Bottom line: these rolls look awesome!

What's for Supper? said...

Wow. Those look really good!

Marie said...

Your "knots" look great as does the soup!

Ilva said...

I think they look exactly the way they should! Very nice indeed! Thanks for joining us again!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I love your knots !! I just made them and they are so good ! I understand you appreciating your evening meals (nice soup !!)!! My kids just had one with strawberries jam !! Your strudel is so beautiful !! I've never put rum soaked raisins I should try !

Snooky doodle said...

I say these Italian rolls are perfect. yummy. they look heavenly.

Y said...

1/4 g.. hehe..

Wish your post had been knottier so that I could've said something about you being very knotty! But anyway, I love unknotting the knots. Dinner should be an interactive experience, in my opinion.

pigpigscorner said...

I love these knots, they look so cute and yummy to eat! Sounds greast with the soup!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Beautiful job! Your rolls look delicious and quite knotty.

Di said...

Those look delicious, as does the soup. I love "unknotting" too. That's how I usually eat things like cinnamon rolls, too, by unrolling them.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

This sounds like the perfect lunch! Fresh bread and homemade soup! Your knots look incredible!

PheMom said...

They look wonderful - duck fat or no!

Jamie said...

Now I want to go in the kitchen and make knots...even though it's almost 9PM...great job!

Jamie said...

I missed this one and I so wanted to make these rolls. Lard or no lard yours look wonderful! And perfect with a bowl of soup!

pinkstripes said...

Your knots look wonderful. I bet they tasted great and were good with the soup.

Flourchild said...

Very yummy looking meal you have posted! I love the knots!

Kayte said...

Your knots look wonderful, especially with a bowl of soup to accessorize them. Going back in on those knots this weekend, or whenever Cathy's flour arrives. Determined not to let one failure preclude me from the joy of knowing what the appeal is in this bread!

Baking Soda said...

Oh Yum! Paired with soup.. definitely yum! One of the kids requested mustard soup to go with these.. They look great!

Madam Chow said...

Wonderful job! I had some 00 flour on hand but no lard, so I made them with butter. We loved them.

Jude said...

This was not a good time to take a break from blogging. I really wanted to make this. tsk.