Sunday, June 21, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble


I have quite a few faults. While this is not the area in which to air them, I think one is pertinent here. Let's just say, I'm prone to hyperbole. The number of times I over-exaggerate things? Probably a million times a day.

See? I wasn't kidding!

But there are some things that transcend that tendency. They overwhelm me with their awesomeness. Generally, anything with rhubarb goes into that category. I mean, how can something that sour and stringy end up so meltingly tender, so wonderfully complex and sweet? How?!? Pair it with strawberries, and there's just no contest.


So when I was looking for a dessert to make for a game night with friends (Settlers of Catan, anyone?) and saw rhubarb at the farmer's market, I had to get some and use it. How can you not? Obviously, strawberries weren't ready by then - okay, maybe not so obviously, as I have shamefully kept this from you guys for over a month. Strawberries didn't show up at the farmer's market until last week, where they disappeared quickly thanks to the early birds - don't feel too sorry, I'm one of them!

My first inclination was strawberry rhubarb pie. I love pie. I grew up making pie crusts, churning out apple pie after apple pie during the fall, freezing them to bake during the cold winter months. Also, it's something you can ostensibly eat for breakfast, which is always a good thing in my book. But the fates conspired against me. I began looking for recipes, and instead stumbled across this one by Deb. Oh lordy, there are no words for how excited I was to make this. It was quick (I tossed the strawberries and rhubarb together with everything but the crumble topping right in the pan) and man did it smell amazing baking!


We managed to make it halfway through a game of Settlers before breaking into it too. Do I get a gold star for self control? Anybody? Please? Let's just say, the game stopped for about 5 minutes. No one wanted to do anything else, and it only took 5 minutes to polish off the servings I had dished out. We all looked at our plates and considered a second serving, but since no one said anything, the game kept going. I skipped out on the next game, and began washing dishes. It wasn't until I looked over and saw slightly crestfallen looks that I realized people had been contemplating more crumble. Oops!

And this crumble topping? It is now my absolute favorite. I love the raw sugar in it, as well as the obscene amount of butter - it's rich, slightly crunchy, and oh so good. And that, folks, is not hyperbole.

Seriously, go check out the recipe - here.

17 comments:

Marie said...

That looks so yummy Caitlin!! I would have a hard time restraining myself with this one!

Sweetie said...

i baked with rhubarb for the first time last night too. the cake is being served later today so i'm not sure about taste but isn't rhubarb gorgeous!?! the color alone is reason to bake more with it.

smitten kitchen is the best and your crumble looks gorgeous! did you use a regular metal cake pan for yours?

Dani said...

strawberry and rhubarb is one of my fave summer combos.... the crumble looks great :)

Manggy said...

The awesomeness of rhubarb is something I'll have to try soon-- I've only ever had it in a rhubarb-orange marmalade that was kindly gifted to me :) Hey, you should be back from SFO by now, right? can't wait to hear about it!

Tracey said...

I still haven't tried the combination of strawberry and rhubarb - I really need to do that! This pie looks delicious! Crumble topping is the best.

Leslie said...

I can't believe it, but I've never had rhubarb. But after seeing this beautiful crumble, I need to go find some and make this!

Lien said...

Sometimes you can't hyperbole enough :-)
Your crumble looks divine (even though I don't like rubarb myself...)

pinkstripes said...

It sounds wonderful. I would love to bake with rhubrab, but you can't really find it here!

Elra said...

Sounds so scrumptious, and the crumb topping look really mouth watering.

Maria said...

I love rhubarb! What a great dessert.

Eliana said...

I just discovered Rhubarb. It's amazing. And this dessert looks delish.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I always enjoy your hyperbole! Thing is knowing rhubarb and strawberry it's probably not hyperbole. I do love rhubarb especially. My grandmother grew it every year and made many pies. It is rather a contradiction between it's raw state and in a crisp like this - just can hardly be compared.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Strawberries and rhubarb are the perfect couple! I bet this was a hit! Good for you for saving some for breakfast!

finsmom said...

What gorgeous photos!

Me! said...

Is it sad that I've never had rubarb? I'm saving this for next year when strawberries and rubarb are back in season again.

Mermaid Sweets said...

Sorry I have been MIA, I have been so busy, but it has made me feel so bad not to have time to comment. Gosh I wish I had a piece of this right now.

Kait's said...

Yum. I'm a sucker for strawberry-rhubarb, and I've got some of each waiting to be used up. Must give this a try.