Thursday, August 20, 2009

Poached Eggs on Toast


Have you seen Tea's posts on Stalking Wonder? I have, and every time I kick myself for not being a stealthy enough stalker. There are so many beautiful things around that we take for granted. I realized it when I started going through photos from Boulder with a friend who had never been. Each new photo elicited a wow, an oo or aahhh from her. But it took going through them with her for me to realize that I needed to see things with fresh eyes. Pretend I hadn't seen the exact same sunset the past few months. That green grass, golden corn, and blue lakes were things completely outside of my ken.

Sometimes, simple is best, sometimes it isn't. Confusing, no? But occasionally, I see the clutter of my kitchen and realize that it's beautiful. Not traditionally so, but it screams me. Me, the person who is overjoyed to putter around that tiny kitchen, whisking and mixing and baking. And that's why it's overfilled with pans and spoons and ingredients. Not simple, not neat - it's immensely cluttered. And it's beautiful.


If you were to walk outside, or go into the country, or wander around your house, and you did it with fresh eyes - what would you see? Humor me, and join me in this - post something that you've stalked with fresh eyes, and leave a link in the comments.

For me, I made this dinner a week or two ago. I stuck it on one of the cheap little plates that I've had since college, grabbed a glass of water, and sat down to eat while checking email. And then I looked. Really looked. Beautiful. I couldn't help it.

Poached Eggs on Toast (inspired by Bridget)

1 egg
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
2 tsp minced green chile
1 slice bread, toasted
salt and pepper, to taste

Fill a small saucepan halfway with water, salt generously. Bring to a boil.

While the water heats up, cook down the tomatoes and chile in a pan. Cook them just until they begin to soften, season with salt and pepper.

When the water reaches a boil, crack an egg into a small cup. Gently slip the egg into the simmering water, and take the pan off the heat. Put a lid on it, and set your timer - 4 min for just-cooked whites, 4 1/2 min for harder whites. When the timer dings, spoon the tomatoes over your toast and place your poached egg on top (a slotted spoon works wonderfully for this). Salt and pepper if you'd like.

Possibilities are endless: throw a bit of parmesan, feta, or goat cheese on there. Ricotta would be fabulous as well. Maybe dice up some chorizo, fry up a bit of bacon? Go the direction Bridget went and saute some greens instead of using tomato. If you're feeling lazy, canned diced tomatoes with green chiles work just as well. Any way you do it, this is a simple, relaxing, and wonderful meal.

16 comments:

Lina said...

your poached eggs look perfect. I actually tried making them myself yesterday and it was a total fail... Im going to try again tomorrow. Your photos inspired me :)

natalia said...

Ciao ! You are perfectly right we take so many things for granted....I've just transplanted my cactuses and moved them in front of my kitchen window so now everytime I look at them I stop ! Loveliest eggs !

Anh said...

I can eat this anytime of the day! The egg is perfectly poached!

shaz said...

Thanks for this post Caitlin - I actually just went for a walk today in glorious weather thinking how lucky I am to live down the road fromthis. Love a good poached egg too, yours looks delish!

Natashya said...

Poached eggs on toast is one of hubby's specialties. I always feel very special when he makes it for me.

Fuji Mama said...

I LOVE that second paragraph! So much wisdom there. Yes, this dish does look beautiful, and so good I want to lick the screen!

TeaLady said...

Simple is always best. Ditto on what you said.

Love poached eggs - just with toast - simple.

but yours looks good witht the 'extra'.

Kayte said...

Sounds beautiful to me! Looks beautiful also...simple is great. Trying to get more of that in my life...thanks for the reminder!

koshercamembert said...

lovely writing. lovely food and pics. and poached egg with spicy tomatoes is like shakshuka... you're making me hungry!

pinkstripes said...

Great post. I really need to stop being so jaded sometimes and appreciate my surroundings.

Your poached egg looks perfect.

berrybushel said...

It is amazing the things we take for granted. Poached eggs have been one of my favorites since childhood.

Um, and yeah, pics of boulder? ;)

Madam Chow said...

This is one of my favorite meals. Or poached egg on potatoes. Or poached egg on brown rice. I agree - the simple things in life are great.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Love your approach here, it's wonderful to see the familiar with fresh eyes. And those poached eggs - a couple of steps above "simple" and quite yummy looking!

veron said...

Oh yum, now I am craving breakfast!

Maria said...

I love eating savory breakfasts for dinner. Looks good!

Beth said...

I think you'd really like Eggs Shakshuka! You should check out my recipe (forgive the TERRIBLE pictures). It's very similar, but with a bit of a twist.
http://kitchenwithbrina.blogspot.com/2008/09/eggs-shakshuka-shack-shoo-kah.html