Tuesday, October 27, 2009

TWD: Cherry Fudge Brownie


I grew up in Indiana, northern Indiana to be specific. So when we talked about summer fruit, it was all about the blueberries. We'd buy the 5 pound boxes of blueberries, and I'd happily sit with a book and the entire box and snack on them for hours at a time. Hey, it has to be better than snacking on chips or candy! At the end of the blueberry season (*sob*), my mom would buy a box or two and we'd pack them away into bags and into one of the freezers (yes, multiple freezers - preserving and raising livestock for slaughter will do that to you). All those bags of blueberries would hold me over until the next blueberry season, when I would happily gorge myself on the plump little berries all over again.

So when I moved to Wisconsin, I figured - hey, same latitude as Michigan, and they grow kickass blueberries, so Wisconsin will have lots of blueberries to satisfy my habit! Um, I hate to break it to you, but no, no they don't. I can barely find those measly little boxes of blueberries - no one should be faced with mere pints of blueberries. Gallons! Buckets! Hordes! All much more suitable terms for blueberry quantities.


What they did have was cherries. Boatloads of tart cherries. Cherry jams and preserves, huge deep cherry pies, and *shudder* cherry wine. But we'll forgive them for the wine, because those cherries are damn good in pies. No more crappy cherry pie filling, I can make a quick drive up to Door County and pick of a 5 or 10 pound bag of frozen tart cherries. So since I love pie, I've been able to forgive Wisconsin for their lack of blueberries.

Until April picked the cherry fudge brownie torte though, I hadn't considered the Black Forest angle. Cherries and chocolate? Hmm... this required some thought. Well, not actually, to tell you the truth. I considered the idea for approximately 5 seconds before the "hell yeah" reaction occurred. And oh, is this a hell yeah of a dessert. I skipped the mousse on top, because nothing should get in the way of the fudgey, chocolatey, cherry dotted goodness that is this brownie. Wisconsin, I'd love you, just for your tart cherries.


Last Week: Sweet Potato Disappointment
Next Week: Chocolate Caramel Chestnut Cake

21 comments:

peasepudding said...

I love the black forest take on your brownies, I love anything with the Black Forest ingredients! By the way, I get nervous every time I make macarons too!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I envy you for blueberries and cherries !! Good idea to make it plain !!

Marie said...

That looks fabulous Caitlin!

Y said...

Well now, there right there is another reason why you might never survive life in Sydney. We have blueberries, but they come in *punnets*, each of which are a mere 125g (4 ounce). Enough to fill the hand of a small child. And the price for this privilege? $4!! (which thanks to the exchange rate, is not far off from US$4).

Bridget said...

Hm, maybe that explains why the only time I've found frozen tart cherries was when I lived in the Midwest.

I like that you left the topping off, because the cake part really is my favorite.

April said...

Thank you for baking with me this week! I'm so jealous of your proximity to good cherries! The brownies look delicious.

Kim said...

Great post. Your brownie torte looks fantastic. Glad you loved it.

Megan said...

Ah - cherries for blueberries - sounds like a fair trade-off.

I skipped the topping too - nothing should get in the way of chocolatey goodness.

savvyeats said...

I love Door County cherries. It is unfortunate the Madison to Door County is a bit of a drive.

Blueberries may be hard to find, but there are lots of raspberries to be found in summer/early fall. If that helps at all. :)

I love berries. I wish Wisconsin could grow them for more than a few months a year!

Valerie said...

This looks so pefectly delish!!

pinkstripes said...

I'm so jealous of your easy access to tart cherries. Your brownie torte looks awesome. I love chocolate and cherry. YUM.

Cakelaw said...

This looks fab - ifg I made it again, I'd also skip the mousse, because who needs it?

Tammy said...

Looks wonderful. You should try the mousse as well because it was just delicious!

AmyRuth said...

Neat story, Caitlin. Nice to see the brownie minus the fluff. Fluff on the brownie or on the thighs, a good thing to skip. Glad you liked it, I haven't made mine yet. Just haven't locked on to the cherry/choco marriage.
AmyRuth

Jaime said...

you should try it w/the mousse next time, it was fabulous :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Well, you could make the mousse and leave it in a bowl next to the perfect brownie cake. I have it on good authority *ahem* that the mousse was pretty fab eaten with a spoon. I'd give my eye teeth for fresh or frozen tart cherries. It doesn't seem to happen in GA

Jess said...

I would do anything for some tart cherries - maybe move to Wisconsin? The brownie looks great.

Katrina said...

Glad you have cherries! And glad you loved the brownie. I would have liked it, but no one else here would have liked it with cherries, so I left them out and still loved these brownies!
Looks great!

Carol Peterman said...

Yes, this torte would be just fine without the topping. How did you like the black pepper element?

Teanna DiMicco said...

I wish New York had something like that. I mean, yeah, we have apples, but apples are boring. I'd love boxes of fresh blueberries! I definitely need to make this - I am late on the dish because I'm moving this week, but will be making them because I am reading positive review after positive review!

lasinthekitchen said...

I'd love to buy a BOX of blueberries! And I can't believe you can buy a 5 or 10 lb bag of cherries...
Your brownie torte looks terrific! =)