Tuesday, October 20, 2009

TWD: Sweet Potato Disappointment

Hello pastrami reuben on rye, I love you.

Yep, you read that right. Disappointment. The idea sounded fabulous - biscuits, light and flaky, with a bit of squash-y sweet potato-y flavor to them. Instead, they were dense, vaguely sweet, and dry. So sad.

So this will mark the first time I don't even have a picture of the week's TWD pick. I made them, but was underwhelmed. So much so, that I can't in good conscience recommend them. Nor could I be inspired to take anything other than a crappy photo of them.

So instead, I'll leave you with a couple of other photos. They're from this last weekend with Jacqui (also found here, with her gorgeous photography) and Shanna in Chicago. We went on a Chicago food tour with Chicago Food Planet, and it was awesome. Seriously, the guide was amazing, we got a nice little walking tour of a couple neighborhoods (with history & architecture thrown in!) and some very generous and delicious tastings as we went. **disclosure** Thank you to Shanna for including Jacqui and me when Chicago Food Tours offered her a free tour - so worth it!

Important note - this is across the street from Anthropologie. And has BAGEL TABLES. *heart it*

They have fennel pollen at the Spice Merchants. WANT.

This shop, while it has cupcakes, wowed me more with their selection of salted butters. *jealous*

And this sign? Wiser words were never written.

And while no picture of the original Playboy mansion, I fell in love with all the stonework on this house...

Seriously, how could you say no to a proposal in front of the Cowardly Lion at Oz Park?

27 comments:

Tia said...

awww..... too bad the recipe didn't work for u... your post makes me want to go to chicago!

Marie said...

I didn't get to these yesterday and was going to make them later today. I am wondering now if I will bother. Looks like you had a fab trip to Chicago though!

natalia said...

What a wonderful trip Caitleen ! I'm starting to become jealous of your traveling !! Sorry for the biscuits ...and now I'm even jealous of your super sandwhich !!

Eliana said...

It's so upsetting (well to me anyway) when a recipe doesn't work out. But you still managed t give us a great post.

Amanda said...

Sorry they didn't work for you! I thought they were pretty good, nothing spectacular, but I'm not really a biscuit person. Hubby liked them and that's what counts ;) Great pics of your tour! I live only an hour and a half from Chicago, I will have to do that some day :)

Tracey said...

Sorry the biscuits weren't a success for you. I struggled with mine too. Looks like a fabulous trip to Chicago, though! I've been wanting to visit Chicago forever, but just haven't had a chance yet. Thanks for sharing!!

Kim said...

Great pictures. Your trip looks wonderful. Sorry the biscuits were a disappointment. Mine were dry and dense too but I liked the taste.

Shannalee said...

AH! I am still SO glad you pointed out that brick because it makes me so happy every time I look at it. Thank you for driving down to meet us in person - it was so much fun to hang out! You are just as lovely in person as you seem from your blog. We will have to do it again. Maybe next time, Jacqui and I will meet you in Madison or something!

Flourchild said...

Ahh bummer they didn't work out for you...I sure enjoyed the pictures from your trip!

Clivia said...

Now I really want to go back to Chicago! Maybe next summer.
There's no way your biscuits were any worse than mine. Oh well. On to next week.

Maria said...

I grew up in IL and I love the windy city! thanks for sharing your photos!

Karen said...

What a fun trip to Chicago! :) Bummer that the biscuits didn't tunr out.

Katrina said...

Bummer about the biscuits.
Fun pictures!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

too bad about those biscuits, but i love anything on rye--yum! sounds like a great weekend..i was quite taken with all the deliciousness in chicago the last time i visited!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Love this post - I'm in Chicago right now, so will try to track down a few of these things!

btw, the capcha is "bless"!

Beryl said...

Sam thing happened to mine and I did not want to post pics or write about my failure. Thanks for teaching me another way to deal with a TWD dud. Love the Chi-town pics.

jacqui | happyjackeats said...

So great meeting you, and you're awesome for driving all the way out here! Madison trip? I'm in.

I'll post my pics on the blog soon. Hopefully...

Pamela said...

Oh, I would SO RATHER have that pastrami rueben any day over the sweet potato biscuits!! Great pictures, too.

Cakelaw said...

Oh well! There's always bound to be at least one recipe we don't like. Your San Fran photos are lovely - I have never been there, so I appreciate you sharing.

Cakelaw said...

Oh well! There's always bound to be at least one recipe we don't like. Your San Fran photos are lovely - I have never been there, so I appreciate you sharing.

pinkstripes said...

Your weekend in Chicago sounds like a blast. Too bad about the biscuits!

Kayte said...

A fine choice for photos! Looks like a lot of fun.

Liz said...

Oh, sad! I guess I made the right choice to skip this week. I enjoyed your other photos, though.

Tammy said...

I bet your biscuits weren't that bad! Your trip looks great

Carol Peterman said...

Food tour of Chicago, fun! Sorry to hear of the biscuit failure. I added some buttermilk to my dough because it was extremely dry. All in all I really liked them though.

Peggy said...

You've never cooked anything bad since I've been blogging with you! I liked the biscuits, but I only used half the sweet potato that it called for so mine were not as colorful as some. That reuben looks great and Chicago is fabulous! And there is always next week!

TeaLady said...

Mine were also disappointing. Ah, well.