Tuesday, January 12, 2010

TWD: Mrs. Vogel's Scherben


Okay, please tell me I wasn't the only one who spent the last week or two saying scherben over and over again? Please? Because seriously, that was my favorite part of these cookies. Not to say they weren't interesting and tasty, they were! But how can the flavor live up to the name?

I did cheat a little bit with these though. The simple dough of butter, flour, a large pinch of sugar, a small pinch of salt, and hot water was supposed to be chilled for an hour, rolled thin as could be, cut, refrigerated, and fried. Deep fried. In my apartment. I've done it, but it's a bit of an undertaking, one in which I try to deep fry as many things in a row as I can. But when I've been told to heat three inches of oil in order to fry a measly few cookies? Yeah, I'm going to do something a bit different.


So I did it. I baked them. The heavens didn't fall, hell didn't freeze, and they were still quite tasty. Just a bit less labor intensive because oh I didn't bother chilling them for an hour post-rolling and cutting either. Nope. Roll, cut, into a 400*F oven for 12-13 minutes, although timing is very dependent upon how thin you roll the dough. Just make sure to toss them directly into powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, right out of the oven. And paradoxically, you need to wait until they're cool before tasting, because otherwise they're a bit chewy. And not in a good way. My eternal apologies to Teanna for bastardizing her recipe, but luckily they turned out wonderfully! Not a cookie that I'd run to make again, but a very fun one to try this once.


Last Week: Tarte Tatin and Cocoa-Buttermilk Birthday Cake (I'm still contemplating making that cake again...)
Next Week: Chocolate Oatmeal Almost-Candy Bars (yes please)

25 comments:

Leslie said...

Much smarter to bake not fry. My house smelled like eau d'canola for a day or two. These were fun and different.

Teanna DiMicco said...

Caitlin, I have to say, I LOVE you for finding a way to bake these. Because, seriously, no one would have made these otherwise! So thank you so much for rounding up the troops and thanks for baking along with me this week!

Kayte said...

The Renegade! LOL...everyone was so excited when you posted on the P&Q that they could be BAKED and NOT FRIED! I think you started a revolution. They look cute and tasty...am sure the guys here would be very happy to eat them baked instead of fried...by my oh my was that little bit of fried goodness wonderful!

Sabrina said...

I thought about baking mine too, I'm glad there are options! I didn't end up making mine... but I'm glad yours turned out well!

Clivia said...

I never even thought about baking them. What a great idea!

natalia said...

I'm sure they were great !!

Jessica said...

I think it's great that you chose to think outside of the box for this recipe. I'm never opposed to streamlining the baking process. If I make these again I will definitely try baking them.

Pamela said...

I did a rewind this week, but if and when I get to these, I'm going to follow your lead and bake them, too!

Hornedfroggy said...

Thank you so much for posting the baking method on the P&Q - I loved it! :) I probably wouldn't have made these if you hadn't! Great pics, btw!

Mimi said...

I thought about baking after I read the P&Q, then I thought I do half baked and half fried, as I'm a little of both, but ended up frying all because it went so fast.
Mimi

Eliana said...

Great call on baking these. They look great.

Kim said...

Glad you found that baking worked just as well. I think you made a lot of people very happy. Love the pictures.

Karen said...

I don't think you bastardized these at all! Just made them a little healthier! They look delicious!

pinkstripes said...

I almost baked them, but ended up frying them. Glad to know they taste great baked.

jillbert said...

Thank you for posting the baking info on the P&Q. I wouldn't have made these otherwise!

TeaLady said...

Great idea to bake. A lot less messy. And they look just fine.

Tracey said...

You know, I really liked the fried version but it's nice to know that these are tasty when baked too! Thanks so much for figuring it out for everyone. Yours look really delicious!

Gabe's Girl said...

Hey, thanks for the baking tip. I am going to make the rest of my batch this way. I do not mind frying other than smelling like grease and wasting all that oil! The baking thing will be a good alternative.

Flourchild said...

Good going on the baking..I was going to bake them but I didn't even make them!!

Y said...

Scherben.. giggle. Good to hear they taste as good as they sound!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

a lot of peole followed your lead on the baking, i see! maybe i shoulda tried that...my kitchen still smells of oil!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

I don't know to to say scherben :( :(
And great idea to bake them instead, I've noticed a lot of people have done that. How was the flavor though?

shortbreadsouth said...

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! Glad they turned out good!

Manggy said...

Whenever I get a deep-fry thing, I usually shallow-fry and in a relatively small vessel, cos oil can get really expensive! I don't mind the clean-up :) But you came up with a really neat way to make these, well done! :)

Dani said...

don't you love when changeing it up works out so nicely? :)