Tuesday, August 3, 2010

TWD: Gingered Carrot Cookies


My favorite cake combines two of my favorite things (funny how that works, huh?) - warm fall spices and cream cheese frosting. Carrot cake. There's a reason why it's one of the four flavors of cake I'll be baking for my wedding. Here's the problem though: I don't want my carrot cake to taste too... carrot-y. So when I tried the carrot cake recipe from Cook's Illustrated's New Best Recipe cookbook, there was a necessary re-do. It tasted too much like carrot, not enough like cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. So I redid, reducing the oil (I hate soggy carrot cake) and doubling or tripling each of the spices. Ah, much better.


What does this have to do with this week's TWD pick? Well, a lot. You see, I worry now whenever I see a carrot cake-inspired dessert. Will there be too much oil? Will they (the horror!) use butter? Did they use enough spices? Should I stick to the recipe, or assume that things will need to be tweaked? I mean, my kitchen currently has the remnants of every single TWD pick for the month of August. Because I'm that person, the one who walked into the kitchen at 8a and walked back out at 2p, covered in flour, sugar and butter, hands wrinkled from trying to keep up with all the dishes. So I can't afford a recipe re-do. Or at least, my thighs can't afford a re-do. Because while the fiance gladly consumes vast quantities of ice cream, he's much less enamored of things like tarts and quick breads.


Therefore, pre-emptive tweakage occurred. I doubled the spices, because generally I like more than Dorie calls for. I doubled the salt. I eighthed the recipe (yes, that was a lot of fun...). And then I baked four wee little cookies. The result? I forgot one tweak, because it's only occasionally needed with Dorie's recipes. I should have reduced the sugar. A lot. Like, by half. These things were like eating sugar held together with carrot shreds and dotted with raisins. (What, you thought there'd be coconut? Ha!)


Unfortunately, as I mentioned there wasn't really time for tweaking any more. Despite my downsizing (didya miss the minis? I did!), our apartment was just too inundated with baked goods to countenance a carrot cookie redux. It does, however, remind me that we need to get on the carrot cake recipe testing again. Three months left, three recipes left to nail down - coincidence? I think not! I foresee lots of carrot cake, chocolate stout cake, and flourless chocolate cake in our future...

Last Week: Chewy Chunky Blondies
Next Week: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream

25 comments:

Judy said...

I'm starting to remember about increasing the salt; now I need to increase spices, too. And, you have all the August recipes done? wow.

Di said...

Four cookies? Wow. =) They look good to me. And no need for coconut.

My favorite carrot cake is from Fine Cooking. It uses walnut oil for part of the oil and is made mostly in the food processor. Mmm, it's been way too long since I made it.

Peggy said...

YOu are amazing making all those recipes! I love the Big Bill's Carrot Cake the best. These cookies were really good.

Karen said...

I did miss the minis! :) These look good even if they had too much sugar.

Flourchild said...

You have been baking up a storm! Your cookis look tasty!
I loved this recipe!

cindy said...

Good luck on your 'carrot cake quest'!

PheMom said...

They sure are cute with the little raisins in them - I just wish I liked raisins!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

can't wait to see the results of your cake-testing!

Tia said...

they look wonderfully round and perfect.
Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

Kayte said...

Four cookies...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, can you imagine the guys' faces if I told them I made four cookies???? Those four cookies look absolutely perfect, well, except for the lack of coconut and all. Yes, I saw that wedding cake lineup.

natalia said...

Ciao Caitlin ! Thank you for joining me this week ! I did for July what you did for August ! I'm sorry they did not work for you I used unsweetened coconut and they weren't too sweet !

TeaLady said...

And I thot they weren't sweet enough. So I frosted them.

So much cake - so little time. You WILL conquer it. I have faith!!!

SiHaN said...

I'm excited for the future!!! did i hear flourless chocolate cake? *drools*

Helene said...

You did good I really like the pictures.

Carol Peterman said...

Yea, sweet, but good. I actually boosted the sweetness with a carrot cardamom glaze and cream cheese frosting. It kills me that you made four cookies! Happy cake testing. Passing out samples is a great way to make friends with your new neighbors.

Nicole said...

Mine weren't that sweet, I wonder if something got lost in making such a small batch. I halved the batch and they were ok. Your minis look good!

明芳綠美 said...

人生中最好的禮物就是屬於自己的一部份..................................................

Piggy said...

Your cookies still look great, even though it's too sweet for you.

Becky said...

four cookies! that's impressive. what a crazy baking day.

Jaime said...

wow, 1/8th? 4 measly cookies? i've already devoured at least 20 since i made them yesterday! :P

i see you've got your camera back :) nice photos!

make sure you try melissa sweet's carrot cake recipe (on my blog if you don't have it). it's my all time favorite

Amber Marie said...

Four cakes for your wedding - nice! The more the merrier! I tried quartering the recipe and made a serious error somewhere!

Samantha said...

Anything with ginger equals greatness. And anything with carrots equals moistness, thanks for this!

張黃柏亞武茜 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼....................................................

姜堯林智超玟 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德............................................................

Katrina said...

1/8 the recipe--wow, that's quite the math skills. ;)
I love carrot cake, too. Cream cheese frosting is the best.