Tuesday, September 7, 2010

TWD: Peanut Butter Criss Crosses


Flabbergasted is a fun word, isn't it? Or it would be, if that particular emotion hadn't occurred during a lab I was in this past Wednesday. You see, I'm an engineer. Get in, get it done, get out. Quick and dirty, fast and efficient. And I'm proud of it, in case you were wondering. But this lab is an analytical chemistry lab, and for those of you not in the know, that means precision. Daintiness. Patience. Attention to detail. So you can imagine the issues that arose when I realized we would be measuring the average volume of half a drop of water. Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?!?! I'm pretty sure my reaction caused my poor lab partner to back away in fear.


You have all seen my approach to measuring here, right? I scoff at the scoop and sweep, spoon and level, or weighing crowds, because the things I bake don't need that sort of precision. And let me tell you, when making a 1g/L solution of KI, you also don't need that kind of accuracy. So you can imagine my relief when I was able to go home, vent (briefly) to the fiance about the idiocy of that particular lab, and bake these cookies. Because I tossed them together people. The way it should be. Because hello! With that much peanut butter, that much butter, and the addition of salted peanuts, how could it turn out poorly?!


Obviously, it couldn't. And while these aren't my kind of peanut butter cookies (these are, and I have 3 dozen cookie dough balls in my freezer to prove it), they're damned good. Yes, they're crunchy on the edges while my favorites are chewy and soft throughout. Yes, they have peanuts in them, adding more textural contrast and complexity than I'm looking for in a standard peanut butter cookie. But guys, let's talk seriously here. I let them cool and bagged them up a few days before I took photos. And when I took the cookies out of the bag to take a few photos, all that peanut buttery goodness just came racing out. In no time flat, that was all I could smell (which is impressive, since I had three other things baking that particular day...). And seriously? That's what peanut butter cookies are all about.


One thing to note - I made a half batch and used a small cookie scoop to portion them out. I ended up with 42 cookies, which were just barely baked at around 8 minutes. Pulling them out then kept a textural contrast between the crunchier edge and the chewier center.

Also, in case you were wondering, the fiance is currently working his fingers to the bone. He's making little origami figures to go on each and every table and name card since we're doing that instead of table numbers (booo-ring). I, on the other hand, am doing nothing wedding-related. Take that, traditional gender roles!

Last Week: Chicory Chocolate Chip Shortbread
Next Week: Cranberry Upside-Downer

14 comments:

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Maybe baking is your way of rebelling to the conformities of chemical engg? Either way, those cookies look delicious. And yayy to role reversal!

chocolatechic said...

I have 40 dough balls in my freezer too.

I loved these cookies.

I didn't measure my peanut butter either.

When my son moved out, he took the measuring thing that you can just plop out the stuff....oooohhh what is it called...it is from Pampered Chef.

Anyway, I just said 'forget this measuing' and eyeballed it.

Madam Chow said...

I didn't care for these that much because mine turned out really crisp, but my husband loved them. I will have to try the others ones you liked to - they look awesome!

Mary said...

You must post pictures of the wedding origami things! We loved these cookies too.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cookies look great! Organic chemistry was my favorite lab! The best is when you get a mystery compound and have to play detective to figure out what it is.

cindy said...

Your lab sounds boring! These cookies were excellent but I need to try the recipe on SK. Thanks for the link.

Tia said...

beautiful stacks of cookie gold :)
My version of these is PB and J thumprints. Great job this week!

Rachel said...

i am SO not a precise measurer when it comes to baking either. which is funny because i'm a total, detail obsessed perfectionist freak in my lawyerly work life. glad you had these cookies to get you through your work frustrations!

natalia said...

Ciao !!I didn't think a drop of water was always the same to start with !! Curious to try your favourite recipe !! What figures is he making ? always the same or different ones ? I made the frog today ! Baci

Eliana said...

These look super delish! And I totally wish I had a bunch of dough balls in my freezer right now.

thewhimsicalcupcake said...

So, what IS the volume of a half a drop of water? ;)

And high five for your fiance!! I'd love to see the origami... thingies.

And sometimes measuring is overrated. So high five for you for,erm... sticking it to the man?

Your cookies look FAB and your fave pb cookie is a cookie I've made many-a-time. :D

Katrina said...

Nice--roll reversal. Nice cookies (but I have other favorite pb cookies, too.)
Off to go check out yours.

doctorval said...

Shouldn't measuring a half of a drop of water been done in your undergrad work?

Flourchild said...

Im sorry ..but my brain can't even think like that..ha ha!
Your cookies look super and your fiance rocks!