Tuesday, October 19, 2010

TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Custard


Craziness. That is all my life consists of right now. I'm seriously so scattered and tattered at the edges, it's ridiculous. Then again, I guess that's what I get for having the following all occurring in the very near future:

- two midterms. Have I mentioned how long it's been since I even took a test?
- one lab writeup. For which I have no clue how to do the data analysis.
- two proposals. Which would be done if collaborators would get back to me...
- fiance's bachelor party. Because every fiancee bakes a cake for these events, assembles breakfast for the guys, picks them up from the bars, etc, right? Right?!?
- epic cake baking. 16-8" cakes, 2-4" cakes. This is going to be awesome, and not just due to the 50+ eggs and 5 lbs of chocolate.
- manicure. I guess that's a normal pre-wedding thing? Hmm...
- wedding and all the related events. Nuff said.


And in the meantime, I just want to curl up with a book, a mug of tea, and an adorable kitten. I just have this feeling that if I had enough self-belief and willpower, I'd be able to make everything else just pouf! disappear.

That makes comfort food the perfect thing to have around. And if you know me or the fiance, you'd know - pumpkin pie is our thing. For serious. Pumpkin pie is serious, serious business here. Growing up, my mom would make two pies - one for me, one for my family. I finished mine before the other three members of the family finished theirs. For both of us, pumpkin pie is an all-meals sort of food. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert... little wedges for snacks throughout the day... Perfection.


So when I mentioned that I was making caramel pumpkin pie, there was a bit of trepidation. You don't mess with perfection. And perfection = Libby's. Libby's pumpkin, Libby's pumpkin pi recipe. Anything else is blasphemy. But this is TWD. Yeah, the group of which I've been a member for nearly three years - I can't skip it! Thus, my solution - little baked pots of caramel pumpkin custard. Because if it doesn't look like pumpkin pie, we won't require it to taste exactly like Libby's. Yeah, we play mind games on ourselves. Totally works.

The result? Deep, dark, complex and caramelly pumpkin custard. Not our standard, but definitely delicious. The texture was unbelievable, and while the burnt caramel notes were a surprise, they were worth it. The fiance even said that he'd like it in pie form. I, on the other hand, have a nice little stockpile of Libby's pumpkin just screaming out for my favorite pumpkin pie. It's fall, after all, and I deserve it.


Last Week: Foldover Pear Torte
Next Week: All-American, All-Delicious Apple Pie

17 comments:

Judy said...

I love pumpkin custard. Yum. This pie was ok, but my standard one is much better.

chocolatechic said...

This is just hilarious to me, because I just wrote a totally opposite blog.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i've baked little custards out of extra pie filling before, and it's a great way to eat it! hope you get thru the craziness and get to sit down with a whole libby's pie soon!

cindy said...

Great idea. Good luck--enjoy your very busy week.

Tia said...

just the right size - portion control. I like it!

Jennifurla said...

great twist lady!

Dani said...

weddings certainly do have a way of taking over your life, but it will ALL be worth it in spades :)

The Mortensens said...

It's definitely hard to be the standard pumpkin pie--also one of my favorites.

Anyway, thank you so much for baking along with me this week especially with everything you have going! Good luck with the midterms and the wedding!

Tracey said...

Man, just reading about all you have on your plate right now made me exhausted! I have no idea how you balance it all, but kudos :) Great idea for the custard cups - I'm glad you guys liked them! I don't think I've ever made the Libby pumpkin pie recipe, but maybe I'll give it a go before fall is over this year.

Katrina said...

What a totally fun idea to make custard, or basically crustless pie. Because it would be fun to make, but I could sure do without the fat/calories from the crust (although it's my favorite part of pie!)

Di said...

Every time I see those little blue cups of yours, I want them. =) Good luck getting through the to-do list.

crustabakes said...

yupp, u totally need it for ur crazy week ahead! :P

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Great idea converting it into custard. But I'm sure it would be awesome-r with pastry. I'm a big pastry lover :)

Megan Gordon said...

I can relate to the craziness! Maybe there's something to that and pudding/custard--I recently made some on my blog too and it seemed to help :) Mine was basically a crustless pie, too.

lala said...

Thanks for your post and welcome to check: here
.

Karen said...

Sweet! Love the mini custards! Good luck with all you have going on, you sound like one busy lady! :)

The Food Librarian said...

Lovely custard. And good luck with all your upcoming schoolwork and wedding stuff! - mary