Tuesday, October 12, 2010

TWD: Foldover Pear Torte


For all that I make fun of the fiance for his dislike of various foods, I have to come clean - there are some textures and foods that just don't do it for me. For his dislike of fresh tomatoes, there's my dislike of slimy or slippery textures. For his dislike of squash and zucchini, there's mine of egginess. For his spiciness aversion, there's mine to gelatinous things. For his dislike of everything else, well - you've got me there. I mean, unless you want to get into my aversion to tequila, because that opens up an entirely different story. And I doubt you really want to hear my tequila story.


So even though he likes custardy things and loves creme brulee, I knew I'd be making this torte for myself. You see, he had already entered a request into the baking lineup - brownies. So given his slow pace of consuming desserts, I figured this one would be all mine. And that meant some slight tweakage was necessary, otherwise known as wholesale removal of the custard in said foldover pear torte. I know. I just removed one component in a three component dessert. But it's not like I removed an integral part. There are some three part desserts that would completely fall apart if you removed one - it'd be like removing a leg from a three-legged stool. Not good. But this one? You remove the custard and angels sing. Seriously. Deep dish pear galette!


And for those of you who want wedding updates, I don't really have any. Everyone keeps asking me if it's all become rush-rush-rush since we hit the four week mark. But truly, Saturday came, we looked at each other and went "huh. guess we'll be married in four weeks won't we?" Seriously, that's it. Well, then I ran into the other room and tried on my wedding band so I could admire it. But that's totally not stereotypical pre-wedding freaking out. Okay, okay, so there will probably be multiple episodes of freaking out - I'm envisioning at least a couple revolving around how I'm going to fail graduate school because I'm missing a week of classes. Oh, and one or two about the cakes. We'll see though, eh?


Last Week: Double Apple Bundt Cake
Next Week: Caramel Pumpkin Pie

13 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao Caitlin ! The twicked torte or galette looks great as I'm sure did brownies !Baci

Clivia said...

Your torte looks perfect even without the custard. Great to hear about your wedding plans.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Aversion to tequila! Why even???

Great decision with the custard, I haven't seeen too many positive reviews!

chocolatechic said...

I think it looks great.

Flourchild said...

It looks good to me! Great job.

Kayte said...

Oh, your version looks really nice. I think that was a very smart move because this makes one very large torte and one would need say three guys around to eat it all. No wedding news....how can that be????

Cakelaw said...

Your torte turned out great - a work of art. I don't think leaving out the custard really matters - there isn't a lot of custard to start with. Thanks for baking along this week.

Tia said...

cutie PIE! great browning and nice pleating on top.

Tracey said...

I'm totally with you Caitlin - without the custard I really do think this would have been perfect! I gave the custard a shot, but as I suspected not my thing. Your torte is gorgeous - love the height.

Pamela said...

Is that a mini? Looks great!

TeaLady said...

Funny, I kept thinking galette as I was making this. I think it would abe great as a rustic galette without the custard and all the flavors.

Love you little one.

Only 4 weeks!! Where did that time go??

onecaketwocake.com said...

I do the same thing, custard just makes every dessert slightly less tasty. This one looks great!

Cristie said...

Caitlin,

What a cute little torte! We're glad you like the pears! If you ever need additional ins-pear-ation, check out our website at www.usapears.org.

happy baking!
your friends at USA Pears