Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TWD: Cranberry Lime Galette


Sometimes I miss the midwest. I miss Wisconsin and Indiana and Michigan (Illinois, notsomuch - sorry Chicago traffic). Don't get me wrong, I love North Carolina. But there's been more of an adjustment period to moving out of the midwest to the southeast than I was expecting. First was the ohmygod it's so hot here! This was followed a couple of months later with what the hell, it's still hot here! Once I got over the fact that it was, in fact, really effing hot (to be fair, it was abnormally hot here this summer, but still!), I started anticipating when it would cool down. Fall! My favorite season! It would be full of apple pies and cranberries and cider and colorful leaves and crisp mornings! And then *thud*. Reality hit.


It's too hot to grow apples in central North Carolina. Too. Hot. If I wanted apples, I needed to go three hours away - to the mountains west of here - in order to get good apples. This is a problem. I alwaysalwaysalways make apple sauce and apple pies like a madwoman during the fall. Pork is inevitably paired with sauteed apples or an apple compote. Cider doughnuts are probably the food of the gods. But here? Apples are 'spensive, people! Granny smiths should never cost $2.00/lb. Ever. I went home to Indiana and they were $0.80/lb. I briefly contemplated stuffing a second carry-on with a half bushel of apples but was quickly dissuaded by J (aka the fiance and previously the bf - he wanted to be termed Q, but I nixed it). Instead, I just ate 3-4 apples each day I was there. Storing it up, as it were.


But I never suspected a thing when I came upon this week's pick. Cranberry lime galette! Yay! I adore cranberries! They're tart and pop so excitingly when you cook them! (what can I say, my excitement threshold is evidently quite low) It never occurred to me that finding them would be a problem. But seriously - I was able to find teeny 10 oz bags of organic cranberries in the regular grocery store. That's it. Where the hell is Ocean Spray when you need 'em?!? Living in Wisconsin (one of the largest producers of cranberries), I never had to think about it. They were stocked in the freezer section year-round, and fresh ones were in the produce section from October through January. Here? Barely more than a week away from Thanksgiving, and they have a few paltry bags of overpriced cranberries in the freezer section and none in the fresh produce section. I might cry. I did pitch a bit of a mental tantrum as I zipped back and forth through three different grocery stores looking for my Ocean Spray bags.


But in the end, I bit. I declared defeat and bought the horrendously overpriced teeny bag of frozen cranberries. Because fall is not fall without cranberries.

Last Week: Cranberry Shortbread Cake (need to make this again!)
Next Week: Rewind - to the fourth recipe TWD ever made, the week before I joined!

13 comments:

Di said...

Okay, remind me not to move to North Carolina... =) I realize how lucky I am--it's hot here in Austin, but we have some really fantastic places to shop. Plus there are tons of transplants from the northeast and midwest, so we get lots of "imported" stuff, including apples and cranberries, to keep everyone happy. =)

Mary said...

Great post...my sister just moved from Wisconsin to Atlanta..she was happy about the peaches for a month, and now is missing the apples too!

Nicole said...

They grow cranberries here in Washington state where I live, so they aren't too hard to find. I've even toured an experimental farm.

Sarah said...

I would love to make this. How do I get the recipe?
Sarah

Tracey said...

Oh man, no cranberries and expensive apples? That makes for a rough fall for a baker.

TeaLady said...

Yes, it is a little warm to grow apples here in the south. But we do have some fine peaches and strawberries, and satsumas and...and... Well, you'll lfind out this summer.

Galette looks just perfect.

doctorval said...

That looks awesome. And I know first hand how good your galettes turn out. Yum!

elpi said...

That crispy top is definitely intriguing! I may have to try these in the near future.
happy healh pad

thewhimsicalcupcake said...

I'm with you on the weather front, I'm in Houston and the weather here has been horrible. No fall in sight as of yet. If I can walk outside in shorts, a tee and flip flops... it's not Fall.

And I don't even want to know how much your cranberries cost. I bought 2 ocean spray bags for $1.50 each. Would you like me to send you some? I totally would ;)

Caroline said...

The traffic in Chicago IS terrible, but the city does have its charm. :) Now we're just bracing for snow. i can't believe apples and cranberries are that difficult to find. Even if they were expensive, i'm glad you got a chance to have some of your fall flavors!

Me! said...

lol keep looking, the fresh ones should turn up this weekend. there won't be a lot but there should be some. i think that was when i managed to find them last year. and then froze 3 bags. where i apparently still have half a bag of them.

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Love your post. Really the only thing I miss about Michigan is autumn. The fiery colors on the trees, apple picking and Yates Cider Mill. I saw it on the Travel Channel the other day.

You want to talk about hot. It's so hot here in Las Vegas through October - its unreal. But hey, it's a dry heat. (That's the local joke.)

bfkoontz said...

You just have to take the trip to the mountains. Make it a weekend, and buy late season apples that are good storing apples as they will last longer.

There are some really great orchards up there and Sky Top orchard in Flat Rock makes awesome apple cider doughnuts. There is also an historic orchard on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Orchard at Alta Pass and a couple of organic orchards near Asheville.

Flat Rock is only 45 minutes from my house, but I drive up there about 3 times in the fall and buy about 2 bushels of apples at a time. I bring them home and make applesauce, apple butter and pies galore and then drive up for more!

As far as cranberries, go to Costco or maybe Sams. They have huge bags of fresh ones from Ocean Spray. At the Fresh Market or Whole Foods they have fresh cranberries and you can buy as much or as little as you need. I wish we could get them organic or from a small producer but it is not really an option down here.

Off to can more apple butter and make cranberry relish!