Tuesday, November 9, 2010

TWD: Cranberry Shortbread Cake


Send help. Seriously. Two days ago, I was unplugged, disconnected. I had no clue what was going on at school, in the world, whatever. Then Monday morning, I was rudely dropped into this world. It's full of homework and classes and meetings and tests and labs and research... Make it stooooopppppp!


I was going to have lots of words. Lots of words for this cake, but I'm also drowning in thank you notes instead (not a bad thing!). Actually, scratch the help I requested earlier - somebody just send me a piece of this cake (a large piece). I don't say this lightly - I've been a member of TWD for nearly three years, and this is the best thing I've made in those three years. Hands down. Day-of, the cake part is shortbready, lightly cakey, and slightly sweet and crisp on the edges. The next day, it morphs into this gooey cakey, doughy thing of awesomeness. Both are awesome. Both are very good reasons to stop listening to my rambling, bake the damned cake, and send it to me. Please. The homework, it keeps calling. It's rather distressing.


Last Week: Peanuttiest Blondies
Next Week: Cranberry Lime Galette

11 comments:

Bridget said...

Hehe, wow, sounds like you're having one heck of a honeymoon. :)

I absolutely loved this cake too (although the Tartest Lemon Tart is still my all-time favorite). I was just noticing earlier that its texture had changed a lot since the first day. Shortbready the first day, I agree, and then today mine wasn't gooey, but it was denser, more solid. I like it both ways!

Katrina said...

Wow, best ever, huh. Well it sure does look good with the cranberries. I went with caramelized apples. It is really good, had to get rid of it good, but I wouldn't call it cake. It was more like a big cookie with stuff in the middle.
Congrats on being a Mrs. now. ;)

Nickki said...

I also loved this shortbread cake..it does have a different texture on the second day, but in a very good way! Awesome recipe
:-)

Tracey said...

I agree Caitlin - definitely one of Dorie's best recipes. I wasn't expecting to like it anywhere near as much as I did. Your slice looks perfect!

Sweet and Savory said...

I love your plate, not as much as this cake though. I also thought it was the best, the very best.

I would send you my cake but.......I want it. :)

Karen said...

Glad this was such a win for you! :) Good luck on those thank you notes!

Rachel said...

first and foremost--congratulations!! i hope that everything was wonderful. as for the cake, i skipped this one but i am not taking your proclamation lightly either--it's going on my list for the weekend!

berrybushel said...

Thank you so much for talking me into making this one...it is delish! Good luck with the re-settling.

Lester42 said...

I want to make this, it looks SOOO yummy!! Where do I find the recipe?

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

You make me feel better about the fact that I made this with the intent of taking it to a pot luck, but after tasting it I kept it all for myself. It was that good!

elpi said...

These sound delicious. I’m saving the recipe to my file and will make it soon! Thanks for the recipe. :-)
happy healh pad