Tuesday, November 23, 2010

TWD: Orange Berry Muffins


I'm coming up on three years in TWD - can you believe it? Even crazier that there are recipes I haven't gone back and made, especially since I only missed the first four and a couple others that weren't quite to my taste. So it just made sense to go back and make an easy one - orange berry muffins. You know what the best part was? I got to read through everyone else's posts about them and adjust mine accordingly - win! What that meant was that I tripled the orange zest to up the orange flavor, swapped some oil in for moistness, and I halved the recipe - every rave review seemed to be going straight for my thighs. With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, that is definitely not what I need.


Almost more importantly, these were quick and easy. You see, Thanksgiving is coming up, and I'm having a couple friends from grad school come over. And, well, I've never made Thanksgiving dinner for more than just J and me. Even more pressure? One is from Indonesia and the other is from Taiwan - anyone want to give me a primer on that whole Indian / Pilgrim thing? You know, minus that both of them evidently wear funny things on their heads. Oh, and a traced out hand makes for an awesome turkey. Think they'd appreciate that as a pre-dinner activity? Yeah, probably not...


In the meantime, I'm going to go call my sister and gloat. You see, I went to New York City this past weekend to meet up with Y (and we even dragged Mark out for brunch on Sunday! After pulling 24 hours in the hospital - what a trooper!) and traipse about the city. I feel like I've done my duty - we went to Zabar's and H&H Bagels, had an amazing dinner at Momofuku Ssam Bar (must find out how to make that spicy sausage dish - best thing I had all weekend!), a decadent dessert at Momofuku Milk Bar, a drive-by through the Holiday Market which led to a liege wafel from Wafels & Dinges, and an amazing time all-around. Let's just say that Sydney and North Carolina need to be a leetle bit closer than they currently are...

Last Week: Cranberry Lime Galette
Next Week: Devilish Shortcakes

6 comments:

Clivia said...

A weekend in New York - I'm so jealous. And these lovely muffins! I haven't made them, so thanks for the tip on adding extra orange.

Tia said...

orange berry - always a fave around here. yours look just like bakery muffins!

Karen said...

You have been quite the prolific baker so I am glad you were able to find something you hadn't made. They look delicious!

Flourchild said...

How cool that you got to go to NYC! It's a fun place!
I love your choice for the rewind! It's been fun to see what everyone picks to bake!

TeaLady said...

Sounds like you had a good food time in NYC. How fun!!

I really need to make these muffins. They look so good.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Those muffins look gorgeous. I really need to bake something with oranges!