Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TWD: Minty Chocolate Madeleines


So. Madeleines. A couple years ago, I purchased a silicone mini madeleine pan because I had this thought that silicone released better, cleaned more easily, yada yada yada. Well, after a few uses, it ended up just gummy with cooking spray, flour, and some sort of sticky goopiness that basically was impossible to get off. In unrelated happenings, we got married and our apartment was invaded by all sorts of shiny new appliances and cookware. So the idea of buying a nice, shiny metal madeleine pan? Even I nixed it. Which means that these were made by spooning the batter into a regular muffin tin and coaxing it until it covered the bottoms. They're wee little muffin bottoms, but they do have a bit of the madeleine hump to them, so I'm just going with it. And since I have never had marshmallow fluff, never want to have marshmallow fluff, and therefore refuse to ever buy marshmallow fluff (yes, I know it's entirely irrational. no, I don't care.), these are not filled with fluff. Instead, they're just glazed with a minty icing because J loves mint and chocolate, I don't, and if I cover them with minty icing I won't eat them. Win-win?



Last Week: Midnight Crackles
Next Week: Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

12 comments:

Y said...

I like the sound of minty icing! They kinda remind me of pfeffernusse in appearance too, which is never a bad thing :)

Kayte said...

Necessity is the mother of invention, right? You did good going this route, they are very cute. I have that same theory on chocolate weeks, I love chocolate weeks as I know I won't be tempted to eat any of it!

Jessica said...

Mint and chocolate sounds so good! Congrats on getting married! I know the feeling of your life being invaded by gifts!

Mary said...

I love that you invented the muffinleine....nice work.

Tracey said...

I've had trouble with silicone baking pans too and I had such high hopes. Ah well. Love your minty icing. That would have been a hit here had I thought of it :)

The Food Librarian said...

Definitely a win-win! These look so cute!

sarah (SHU) said...

win, win. yum! hope the lab is better . . . just wanted to let you know i tagged you in my post this AM :)

Karen said...

Win, win, win! :) I have to do stuff like that too so I won't eat them. Cute muffin bottoms. :)

Jen said...

I have a silicone pan that the same thing happened to. Yuck. Your madeleines look great.

margot said...

The mint glaze looks good. I've managed to resist buying any silicone baking pans, sounds like they're not worth the trouble. Thanks for baking with me!

TeaLady said...

My mad = rocks because of the cheap pan I had. I never thot of doing them this way. Clever.

Baking Decorations said...

I don't like the silicone pans either. Have to try the mint glaze.