Tuesday, June 28, 2011

TWD: Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Cookies

 

"Those are good."

Literally, if I had J write reviews of my baked goods, that's what I'd get 90% of the time. Another 5% would be a turned up nose, and the balance would be "That was awesome!" Unfortunately, he's not all that into the nuanced reviews. For me? I liked these, but I have other cakey chocolate cookies that I like better; ones that are oil- rather than butter-based tend to stay moist longer, and there was a bit too much sugar in these for my liking. After a couple days in a plastic bag, they were already just a bit too crisp on the edges for me. However, I have a solution. Basically, it's my solution for a whole lot of things - sandwich them with cream cheese frosting. Oreo cream cheese frosting, to be exact. Done and done.


In the meantime, I've gotten to watch as J builds and paints cornhole boards with Detroit Red Wings designs. As Wikipedia kindly tells us, cornhole is a standard drinking game, especially in Michigan and the rest of the Midwest. And since J is from the Lansing area, it just made sense that he knew about it. I, on the other hand, had never heard of it (or euchre) until I went to college. My family was all about bocce and bridge, what can I say? The funny thing was that his entire motivation to make these cornhole boards came from the impending invasion of a number of his friends from work this coming weekend. So this weekend, there will be burgers, brats, beer, and cornhole. And if I have anything to do with it, some vegetables and a fruit pie. All in all, it sounds like a good idea.


Last Week: Date-Nut Loaf
Next Week: Chocolate Chunk Muffins (And who did Bridget pay off to get to pick again? HUH????) ((jealous))

7 comments:

Di said...

I'm not familiar with cornhole, but I love playing Euchre. It was introduced to me by a college friend from--you guessed it--Michigan. =) Good luck getting some fruits and veggies into those guys this weekend. I'm thinking you're right--pie is definitely your best strategy for that. =)

Bridget said...

Supposedly it was a random drawing once everyone had gotten a chance to choose once. But I confess that when I volunteered, I made sure to plug the fact that I haven't missed a week. I didn't mention the handful of "Thursdays with Dorie" that have happened though...

J and Dave must have learned their descriptive talents at the same place. Although Dave usually says "delicious". I guess it helps to overcompliment when you know you're giving useless feedback.

Julia @Mélanger said...

Sounds like my husband. I eagerly await feedback only to get "that's nice", or "hmmmm, pretty good!". It's hard to get any more out of him. Have to laugh.

Anything with chocolate gets my vote though. :)

The Honey Nut said...

I'm always looking for a good recipe that uses sour cream! I bet these would taste good with a cream filling. As much as I love baking, Oreo's are still one of my favorite cookies.

Katie said...

I bet most things are made better with Oreo icing! What a great idea!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

I think that's an inherent problem with all men. I'd slowly trained my ex to give more detailed reviews though, there's some valuable time down the drain :P

What you did was genius. I do the same, if I'm bored of something I've made, I'll some more fat and indulgence to it, and be a happy happy girl :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I sandwiched mine with cream cheese frosting too and they were more than fine that way!